Annoying oil leak from valve cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annoying oil leak from valve cover

My Gs650E has developed an oil leak in between the #2 and #3 cylinders right at that point where the valve cover juts out from the front of the motor. It a class II leak, and it appears about a 3/4 section of teh gasket is missing. I'm not brave enough to attempt removing the valave cover to replace the gasket myself and ahving a shop do it would be way overbudget for me. Would using a little permatex or something else in there seal it?

I bet that portion of the gasket got "sucked" inwards, had that problem on my 850. It really sucked, LOL. Anyway, the proper thing to do is replace the gasket but I was able to stop my leak until I could change the gasket by cleaning the area thoroughly with contact cleaner and brushing on/in HI-TEMP silicone gasket maker. Hope this helps!
    ED

Comment

Go ahead, be brave. it is really not hard to do, and there are plent of us to 'walk you through it'....If your budget-concious, you will have to do it. Those 'permatex fixes' on teh valve cover will not hold...I know from experience trying to repair one 300 miles from home with the same problem.....

Comment

Yup, the valve cover gasket is really easy to replace, even I didn't screw it up! Get a new one and go for it, no matter what temporary fix you do, you'll have to replace it anyway.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

When / if you do replace the gasket you should take an awl or small punch and put 4 or 5 small divots around that area on the head and the cover, it grabs the gasket when you put it together preventing it from being sucked in again. This was a tip from the dealer when I did this a few years ago.

Comment

Working...
          X