Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it unwise to replace my stator with a used one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it unwise to replace my stator with a used one?

My 1150's stator went and I don't really have the $200 for a nice new one. I just won one off ebay for $10 from a gs650 (i think) they said it was bench tested OK. Is it just going to fail again right away? Mine seemed to last for about 40000 miles if it was the original which is what the previous owners implied it was when I bought it. At least now I'll know how to fix it without freaking out!

All Suzuki stators will fail - it's just a matter of time. Still, for $10 you can't complain. I don't know if a 650 stator will physically fit in the 1150 cover but if it's the same as your failed one, I can't see any reason why it won't work fine.

I've manuals for both bikes so I checked the specs: they use the same 14 amp/hour battery (YB14 LA2 but the chain-drive 650 has a 10a/H battery) and their charging output is the same 80V ac @ 5000 rpm.

Comment

Thanks for th info, but the people that were selling me the 650 stator were/are taking forever to respond to me so in the mean time i've bought a different stator, this time from an 81 or 82 gs1100. It cost me $35 but they've been real quick about it. Hopefully those canadian slackers with the 650 will just forget about me (i think they already have) but otherwise I'll have yet another backup.

Comment

Originally posted by Mookie
        Hopefully those canadian slackers with the 650 will just forget about me (i think they already have) but otherwise I'll have yet another backup.
        Could we keep nationalities out of this, please? It infers that all Canadians(note capital letter) are slackers. Are all U.S. students Taliban loving?(ie John Walker) I think not. :?
        Kevin
        E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
        "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
        Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Oops, computer acting weird. Ignore this space. :?
          Kevin
          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

heheh, I knew that would cause a little trouble. Personally I don't really care what anyone really thinks about what I write (just as long as they help me with my motorcycle). I will say that I think Canada is a superior country in just about every way compared to the US: attitudes, healthcare, militarism, drug/terrorist wars and with the exception for the climate, and a little bit of culture I'll stick to those guns. Heheh, now all the americans are gonna get mad at me :twisted: . I really think that anyone that identifies themselves more with their country than with who they really are are missing out on life. I just want to ride my bike and let it take me wherever (hopefully Mexico this winter)

Comment

IT DIDNT SOUND LIKE HE WAS AIMING IT AT CANADIANS IN GENERAL-AND I AM SURE HE WASNT -

BUT YOU CAN CALL(( ME)) ANYTHING YOU WANT IF IT WILL RETURN BALLANCE

Comment

PS- I really dig Vancouver and Victoria, which I could see from the Olympic mountaintops that I was on last weekend, I hope to make it there soon, hopefully in the next week or 2

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut
                  Are all U.S. students Taliban loving?(ie John Walker) I think not. :?
                  Speaking about nationalities............

Talibans or not, my biggest problem is, to express myself in a foreign language, spelling and keeping up with your jokes. 8O

Apart from that, I feel I participate at the GS-forum and nobody asked me if I'm a taliban or not (so you really don't know) :roll:

We are all GS riders or

You can't find a better GS-site

It's a special experience to discuss with somebody from New Zeeland (JD) about tach problems, because New Zeeland is as far as you can get from Sweden (28 ours flight time).

Comment

well said mookie, 1st & foremost we're all "citizens of the world"... nationalism hopefully will become an outdated concept within our lifetimes!
                    Oh, by the way the stator will work fine if it has the same physical dimensions and is not grounded. Check all the wires to the frame with an ohmeter, they need to have infinite resistance to ground and low and nearly equal resistance between wires.

Comment

Working...
                    X