Head Gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head Gasket

It must be a cold day in He!! because I got the first order from JT. Question is though, I ordered a head gasket and the one that came, with a Suzuki part number, is multiple layered steel, instead of being like the original which was gasket material, with o-rings for the oil passages. The holes all line up perfect with the head. I am concerned.

Has anyone seen or used this type of head gasket?

Thanks

When I did the head gasket on a GS750T the replacement gasket was layered steel instead of the fiber kind, it worked wonderfully. Seems this is an improved part.

Comment

Re: Head Gasket

That would be the upgraded replacement for the old gasket material type.
      I installed one on my 1150 too. No problems with it at all. all is well. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Wingnut
      It must be a cold day in He!! because I got the first order from JT. Question is though, I ordered a head gasket and the one that came, with a Suzuki part number, is multiple layered steel, instead of being like the original which was gasket material, with o-rings for the oil passages. The holes all line up perfect with the head. I am concerned.

Has anyone seen or used this type of head gasket?

Thanks
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

OK. That's good news.

Earl, and or Robin,

Did you put any kind of shmoo on it? I have my parting surfaces spotless and of course will do the progressive, stepped, cross patern, thread lubed torque and all that.
        Did you retorque after it got hot? Need to remove the cover again for that.

Yeah, I know, I probably think on these things too much.

You just put it on and went with it didn't you?

Comment

the cometic one i got for my 750L is like the one you have. so far mine has not leak yet at the head gasket,I was told by the machine shop that did my cylinder work not to use any sealer. But my base gasket was weeping a little oil . and when i check the head gasket it had loosened WAY up after only about 15 minutes of running the engine. so i dont know if you need to retorgue or not but i would check it

Comment

Originally posted by graham harron
            the cometic one i got for my 750L is like the one you have. so far mine has not leak yet at the head gasket,I was told by the machine shop that did my cylinder work not to use any sealer. But my base gasket was weeping a little oil . and when i check the head gasket it had loosened WAY up after only about 15 minutes of running the engine. so i dont know if you need to retorgue or not but i would check it
            That's all I needed to hear, Thanks for the input. I'll do torque plus 10%, then I'll retorque after the first round the block or two. A tight head is a happy head.

Comment

I didnt use any gasket sealer. "and of course will do the progressive, stepped, cross patern, thread lubed torque and all that." Yeah, do that for sure. I torqued the head in 5lb steps. I think that took 6 passes, if I remember correctly.

Earl

Originally posted by Wingnut
              OK. That's good news.

Earl, and or Robin,

Did you put any kind of shmoo on it? I have my parting surfaces spotless and of course will do the progressive, stepped, cross patern, thread lubed torque and all that.
              Did you retorque after it got hot? Need to remove the cover again for that.

Yeah, I know, I probably think on these things too much.

You just put it on and went with it didn't you?
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

My 81 had this gasket, and I replaced with another. They worked flawlessly for me. I never re-torqued, but it's not a bad idea.
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Dont torque to 110%. Torque to 100%, go for a 30 minute ride, let it cool completly and retorque to 100%

Comment

Working...
                  X