A few newbie questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few newbie questions

Hi everyone. This is my first post here. I got my '80 Suzuki GS850G last spring. I am a Volvo mechanic though so I'm mechanically inclined. I know about engines but I have a few "getting aquanted" questions. I previously had a Ninja 250 but harldy rode it due to title problems.

My engine makes a buzzy sound when it's running. Is it normal for these bikes to make this noise or do I need to check timing chain tension and valve adjustment? It's not really loud like loose valves on a car are.

How do you guys put the correct amount of air in the forks without the special tool? I'm thinking fill a portable air tank to the right pressure then fill off of it, but is there an easier way? Being quick with the chuck is how I've been doing it but that's a real pain.

What else do I need to know about these bikes or bikes in gereral?

These bikes are typically buzzy. Don't bother trying to quiet it down at all, you'll go insane trying to get rid of the noise. Old air cooled motors are noisy beasts!

I fill my forks with a bicycle pump. The air tank is a good idea too. Don't use your compressor, no matter how quick on the draw you think you are. You might blow your seals that way. Make sure you don't put any more than 35 psi in there.

Your 850 is one of the most bullet proof GS's out there! Enjoy!
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

the buzz is 100% normal. You grow to love the sound of the air cooled beast!!!!

I have an 83 850....great bike comfortable for long long rides, it should treat you well. Enjoy

Comment

a fork equalizer makes filling the forks allot simpler.
        unfortunately they are difficult to find these days.
        I fabricated mine using 1/8 copper tubing and fittings threaded into the back side on the caps, this allows me to charge up the forks from ether side.

Comment

Wow. Thanks for the quick responses guys.

I love this bike. It's heavy and I'm small but I manage to deal with it. I wrecked it once (highsided) but thankfully I was just slightly bruised and the bike was easily repaired.

Glad to know the buzz is normal. I've still got a few issues to work through. One of my carbs (right side) is leaky when the bike is parked and leaning on the side stand. Also I'm not sure if it's jetted/balanced right because I've got pod filters and the 4-1 exhaust with the muffler on just one side. I'm going to take it to the local MC mechanic to get that fixed due to my lack of carb experience.

Also both instruments are in/op since the wreck. I replaced the cluster with a used one with no luck. My next step is to see if the cables are spinning. Also the high beam is in/op. Methinks its something in the cluster also since the bulb and switch are new and it worked until I switched clusters.

Other than that it's all cosmetic. I've got a dent in the tank and a tear in the seat but it'll get replaced eventually.

This bike is awesome. My plastic is painted bright green. It kinda looks like a ninja turtle bike. The exhaust note is sweet too!

My tires suck though (cheepo) What brands do you guys like on these bikes?

Comment

If you want a lot of opinions, just ask about tires. Here's my opinion: I think the Dunlop GT501 tires are excellent. I have them on my GS850GLZ. They have wonderful handling characteristics. For highway use, the Metzler ME880s are pretty good.

There have been some threads about whether to change tires yourself or take them to a dealer. I ended up at the dealer. They had to order the Dunlops, but the price was about the same as the best prices I've seen on the web. They charged about $30 for mounting and balancing for each wheel, but I think it was worth it.

Comment

I tried a bicycle pump for pressurizing my forks. The first time I tried it, I blew out a seal. I decided to buy a pump made for the task and found one for about $40. In my opinion, it was well worth it.

I did think of using a tank set to the desired pressure. I don't have one, so I had to buy something, so I bought the fork pump. I still think the pump is best because it has a guage right on it for precise measurement. A better reason is because a typical filler nozzle releases some pressure as you pull it away from the valve stem, so you'll have a hard time getting a correct reading. With the pump I bought, it has a special fitting that doesn't release any air when it's removed.

Comment

An 850 GLZ is what I have as well. I am in the process of a rewiring job that would kill the normal mortal. Ic yours all original, and if so, could you send me pics of the battery box area, closeups, with the side panels removed so I can see how all the wires are held in place neatly? Mine looks like a rats nest at present, because apparently someone tried to steal/hotwire it before I got it, and managed to fry most of the wires directly under where the tank and seat meet. Look at my bikes pics at:

Let me know if you can help with the pics.

Scott

Originally posted by karl_ibsen
                If you want a lot of opinions, just ask about tires. Here's my opinion: I think the Dunlop GT501 tires are excellent. I have them on my GS850GLZ. They have wonderful handling characteristics. For highway use, the Metzler ME880s are pretty good.

There have been some threads about whether to change tires yourself or take them to a dealer. I ended up at the dealer. They had to order the Dunlops, but the price was about the same as the best prices I've seen on the web. They charged about $30 for mounting and balancing for each wheel, but I think it was worth it.

Comment

How do you guys put the correct amount of air in the forks without the special tool? I'm thinking fill a portable air tank to the right pressure then fill off of it, but is there an easier way? Being quick with the chuck is how I've been doing it but that's a real pain.
                  The way that I do this is set my pressure regulator on the compressor as low as I can mine will go to about 20lbs then I can fill up the forks and my shocks with out having to worry about blowing out a seal. If I had a portable tank I would be using it as it would be a lot easier.

Comment

Working...
                  X