Still More Wiring Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still More Wiring Questions

I spoke to 2 Suzuki dealerships today long distance, and was told by both that the wiring harness for the 1982 GS 850 GLZ (the cruiser style) is exclusive to that year model and will not cross-reference with any other bike or year. Is there any truth to this, and if so, why?

Re: Still More Wiring Questions

Since all of the GS series have aproximately the same accessories, I dont see a problem in that respect. Some models may require a longer harness due to wire routing and color codes can vary between years and models.
    I think if you have a wiring diagram for the year harness you buy and another diagram for the bike you have, there isnt any reason you cannot make it work. You may need to lengthen some wires and you may need to add a circuit or two. If youre comfortable with wiring diagrams and how accessories need to be wired, you shouldnt have any big problems.
    It will be time consuming and probably in some instances, frustrating.
    I have rewired and been positive I had something correct and it didnt work. Usually, after rechecking 6 times, I've found I didnt have it wired right. :-) Consequently, I have a lot of hair loss. :-) It depends greatly on what your threshold for frustration is. It can be done though.

Earl

Originally posted by sarge75801
    I spoke to 2 Suzuki dealerships today long distance, and was told by both that the wiring harness for the 1982 GS 850 GLZ (the cruiser style) is exclusive to that year model and will not cross-reference with any other bike or year. Is there any truth to this, and if so, why?
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

THere may be another difference.

Do you have auto cancelling turn signals? the 82 850G did and that would cause considerable differences in the Turn Signal circuit if your bike does not.

Nothing that could not be redone but it would require a bit of wiring expertise and time.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Deleting the auto cancel turn signals and wiring manual on/off instead simplifies the turn signal wiring by about 75%. :-) Been there on that one. heh heh

Earl

Originally posted by duaneage
        THere may be another difference.

Do you have auto cancelling turn signals? the 82 850G did and that would cause considerable differences in the Turn Signal circuit if your bike does not.

Nothing that could not be redone but it would require a bit of wiring expertise and time.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

mine does have the self-cancelling turn signals. I will keep them as I am no wiring genius, but the repair to the existing harness should be fairly straight forward. The melted wires are not cut, but merely frayed. I'll just cut out the frayed parts and replace them one at a time making sure to add shrink wrap tubing over each and then wrap it in electrical tape.

Comment

THe Clymers manaul I have that covers 79 to 84 850s, 1000 and 1100s shaft drive bikes has several schematics. Some schmatics cover 2 or 3 years and maybe two modles like G and L. Other schematics are only for one year one model, the 82 850L is one of those (the one I emailed to you).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Could you send it again please? I seem to have lost one of them and it might help figure out why the wire that leads from the neutral light to the gear position switch also has a direct path to ground on the same color wire.....

Originally posted by REDMAN
              THe Clymers manaul I have that covers 79 to 84 850s, 1000 and 1100s shaft drive bikes has several schematics. Some schmatics cover 2 or 3 years and maybe two modles like G and L. Other schematics are only for one year one model, the 82 850L is one of those (the one I emailed to you).

Comment

get a multy pack of the same size wire on your bike. trace each melted wire to the termal end and replace that wire. the less splices the better. keep going till all the bad wireing has been replaced.

if you want to get realy technal about it you can order all the same coloring and striping on the wireing harness, that way when you get a diagram the color cart will match 100%. wires come in 25 foot and 50 foot rolls. for small projects.

Comment

Where can I get the wires that have the colored stripes on them?

Originally posted by gremlin
                  get a multy pack of the same size wire on your bike. trace each melted wire to the termal end and replace that wire. the less splices the better. keep going till all the bad wireing has been replaced.

if you want to get realy technal about it you can order all the same coloring and striping on the wireing harness, that way when you get a diagram the color cart will match 100%. wires come in 25 foot and 50 foot rolls. for small projects.

Comment

electric equipment and suppliers. thay should be in the yellow pages.

if thay dont have it in stock thay should be able to order it. most places want cash up front.

Comment

If you go to an automobile junkyard you can sometimes get wiring looms from cars for next to nothing. You can slice a wiring harness off an engine that will have 20 or more different wires , some of them are bound to be close. And you don't need more than a few feet of each color.

I salvaged an old harness from a ford pickup for a friends 400 honda and we were able to find wires that were long enough and the right colors to boot.
                      The junk yard man gave me the loom for nothing.
                      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                      X