Harley Vs Suzuki = Heat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harley Vs Suzuki = Heat?

Can someone tell me why it seems that running a GS1100 at 85mph on interstate makes bike seem to get real hot, yet the Harley riders I group with do not seem to have this issue? My temps will run 250 degrees after about 20 minutes of this, the HD riders won't get over 200. Thier temp sensors are located in the oil tank, mine, it on the oil cooler adapter at the back of the engine. It is reading the right temp, according to another guage. Bike runs well, has no other issues, tuned with Carbtune and pipes are not blue or anything. Most of these guys run to Sturgis yearly, and at high rates of speed on the interstate for hours on end. I just don't know if Suzi would be able to take this kind of run. Any thoughts?

A V-twin runs at a lower rpm than an in-line four at the same speed.
    It's the pistons going up and down that make most of the heat. Lower rpm=lesser heat source.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Re: Harley Vs Suzuki = Heat?

I have noticed with oil temps, there seems to be a wide operating range even between those with the same bike. My 1150 on a hot Fl summer day never exceeds 190 deg even at triple digit speeds. If air temperature is around 60 deg or less, I can barely get the temp needle above 160 deg.

Earl

Originally posted by propflux01
      Can someone tell me why it seems that running a GS1100 at 85mph on interstate makes bike seem to get real hot, yet the Harley riders I group with do not seem to have this issue? My temps will run 250 degrees after about 20 minutes of this, the HD riders won't get over 200. Thier temp sensors are located in the oil tank, mine, it on the oil cooler adapter at the back of the engine. It is reading the right temp, according to another guage. Bike runs well, has no other issues, tuned with Carbtune and pipes are not blue or anything. Most of these guys run to Sturgis yearly, and at high rates of speed on the interstate for hours on end. I just don't know if Suzi would be able to take this kind of run. Any thoughts?
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

A V-twin has a higher surface area-to-volume ratio meaning that it's easier for it to shed its heat. On top of that, our temps are measured at the case which is probably diferent from measuring at a reserviour (sp? doesnt' look right to me...) in a dry sump system.

Comment

I'd check to see if your gauges are correct.

HD's do run over 200 degrees if you keep the rpm's up, but some folks run then alittle fat to prevent carb farts. With the dry sump the oil tank will act like a cooler too.

I'd also say that the sender could be getting heat soak by the cylinders too.

It's better to run the oil hot eough to burn off moisture and contaminates in the oil, plus it helps reduce bore wear.
          1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
          1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
          1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
          1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
          01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

My 1150 on a hot Fl summer day never exceeds 190 deg even at triple digit speeds. If air temperature is around 60 deg or less, I can barely get the temp needle above 160 deg.
            I'm about right there with you Earl. My temps rarely ever get over 160 on a cool day.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Normal 60mph riding will produce about 200 on a good hot day, 180 on one of those cool 60 degree days. just when I go faster, it gets hot.

Comment

choice of oil effects temps also (dear god I brought up the oil subject!!)
                I have noticed that running mobil 1 makes the bike run cooler.

jetting makes a big difference also.

Comment

Yes, you are a bad monkey. No Banana for you!

I imagine it's awful hot when those Harleys are broken down on the side of the road. At least you'll have the wind in your hair while you roar past them!
                  Currently bikeless
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

More power = more heat

It's really quite simple

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                      I imagine it's awful hot when those Harleys are broken down on the side of the road. At least you'll have the wind in your hair while you roar past them!
                      When our Harley's are at the side of the road that's doesn't mean were broke down... It's just a beer break.
                      1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                      1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                      1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                      1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                      01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

When our Harley's are at the side of the road that's doesn't mean were broke down... It's just a beer break.
                        Damn! You Harley riders are bold!
                        Currently bikeless

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Jiggles
                          reserviour (sp? doesnt' look right to me...)
                          That's reservoir, Mr. Jiggles
                          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

The world's leading online dictionary: English definitions, synonyms, word origins, example sentences, word games, and more. A trusted authority for 25+ years!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                              Originally posted by Mr. Jiggles
                              reserviour (sp? doesnt' look right to me...)
                              That's reservoir, Mr. Jiggles
                              www.iespell.com

Comment

Working...
                              X