Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harleys go fast???????????????????????? :roll:

Comment

It doesnt matter who runs cooler as long as you dont exceed the upper limit of your oils lubricating ability. Mobil 1 can run way up there quite happily all day. I seem to remember that it is up in the 400's before there is trouble? Whats this about not being able to discuss oil by the way? I must be overlooking a forum on the subject or something, if so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
        Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
        Originally posted by Mr. Jiggles
        reserviour (sp? doesnt' look right to me...)
        That's reservoir, Mr. Jiggles
        www.iespell.com
        Seems to me that the website should be named idontspell.com or icantspell.com.

Anyway, I don't think that anyone should be expected to correctly spell french words. That includes the french and especially me.

Comment

Originally posted by 3phase
          Whats this about not being able to discuss oil by the way? I must be overlooking a forum on the subject or something, if so sorry.
          It's not a forbidden subject, or subject to its own forum, but a "which oil to use" topic rears its head about every four hours. Sometimes it's suggested that new forum members search the archives about oils, even as we giggle that the 'ol oil thread has cranked up again. Regardless, guys like me are always willing to offer the benefit of our research and experience...and so, the threads grow!

Comment

You've not overlooked anything. It comes down to a matter of personal opinion on oil choices. Some like the dino, others the synth. Just wait, we'll have an oil thread pop up eventually.

Chains Rule!! (another of those debates, just wait!)

Brad tt

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymaynar
              It comes down to a matter of personal opinion on oil choices. Some like the dino, others the synth. Brad tt
              Don't forget car oils v. motorcycle-specific oils, or debate about viscosity choices! Perhaps the necessity for oil coolers? All good fun.

Comment

So Am I going to fry Suzi keeping up with those 'junk American bikes' everyone hacks on here?

M1 15w-50 BTW.

Comment

There's no reason to think you're going to hurt your bike, and I suspect that your gauge is reading a bit high. If you are concerned, synthetic oil protects to at least 300F as detailed below.

I found some info on HD engine oil temps. It said that the normal operating oil temp range for HD was 170-230F.

As to the the effect of taking the oil temp at the remote oil tank, they said this:

"An oil temperature gauge in your oil tank or a cylinder temperature indicator running off the head is a good idea particularly if you live in or travel through hot areas.The cylinder head gauge is more accurate than the oil tank one since it hasn?t had as much time to cool. Add 10 percent onto the oil tank reading to get a better indication of engine temperature.For a fossil oil, (which comes out of the ground), 250 Fahrenheit is the figure to remember and for synthetics which are man made, allow for around 300 before you get worried about oxidation. As long as sustained operating temperatures don't go above the 250F. level, everything is "cool" so to speak. However please note that there is something else seriously wrong if a reading of 300F. is ever indicated even though oxidation will be curtailed with a synthetic."

Remember that your 1100 is working hard to make equivalent power at 85mph from less displacement that does the HD.

As to hacking on the HD. I like them fine, and have ridden the new twin-cam a lot (10 hours a day at work). They have their charms, but my problem with HD is the poor value they offer. Despite the myth, they don't have fabulous resale value. The want ads are full of used HD that are slow to sell, and owners of new HD tend to load them up with expensive options and mods, but never begin to recover those costs when they sell.

Comment

I had a 750 - setup at about 3 to 3.5% CO on the mains so fairly lean enough for a street bike. The oil temp on a hot (90F) day was 230. I never had trouble with the bike in heat.

Make sure your jetting is not too lean. This is key! ! ! Check it...both midrange and top end....

Next - run synthetic (Mobil 1 15W-50). I used an oil pressure gage and I maintained better oil pressure in heat with the synthetic - and the engine ran better in hot weather. - Dieter

Comment

Re: Harley Vs Suzuki = Heat?

Most of these guys run to Sturgis yearly, and at high rates of speed on the interstate for hours on end. I just don't know if Suzi would be able to take this kind of run. Any thoughts?
                      ... and a lot of those guys wind up picking up the pieces of their Harleys with push brooms. The trailer/ towing companies do a good business at Sturgis +/- 75 miles evey year.

That 1100 should hold a sustained 115 m.p.h. indefinitely on the summer's hottest days, and still outlast a HD eighteen times over. Don't worry about oil temperature. If it bothers you, cover the gauge with masking tape.

Keep the valve clearances set properly and run good quality oil. Other than that, just be polite and don't excessively humiliate the HD crowd too often, as fun (and easy) as it is to do.

Comment

Dont forget that the oil in our bikes is also the transmission fluid,that adds more heat to the oil too.

Comment

Working...
                        X