'83 GS1100GD won't start...aaarrgghh!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'83 GS1100GD won't start...aaarrgghh!!!

I've done everything I know possible to get my bike running. This is my first bike, and I'm a pure greenhorn. I do have an excellent bike mechanic that is helping me. But we're both stumped as to why it won't run. It sat in a friend's yard for 3 Canadian winters.

I've disassembled the carbs, and completely cleaned them. They are in excellent condition. The bike did start twice, but would only run for 4 or 5 seconds at a time. But, what a sound. The motor's in perfect condition.
    Should I prime the bike before I start it? If so, for how long?

Both times I started it, fuel came out of the overflow. Then we put the petcock back to running straight up and down and tried it again with no success. Should the air filter be put back on before we try again? We're getting power to the plugs. We checked the plugs and the caps and they're all in good order. The stator and rectifor are both good. I took off the gas tank and cleaned it. I've changed every gasket that is possible, added fresh oil and gas.

Is it possible that the kickstand switch would be shorting somehow? We have the bike on the center stand, would this make a difference?

The poor brand new battery and starter are getting a beating. If anyone has any suggestions or advice, if would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks The totally frustrated, but not ready to give up greenhorn

These bikes are pretty particular about their airboxes. I would suggest putting that back on and trying again. Also, fuel coming out of the overflow is suspicious. That shouldn't happen if everything is right in the carb.

Comment

Electrical shorts are a huge problem with these terrific old bikes. I'd check in the headlight bucket and make sure everything is up to snuff there, and add a real ground from the R/R right to the negative battery termanal.

I do say, however, that if it ran for a few seconds, then died, it's more likely a fuel delivery problem. Of special note, make sure the starter jet tubes and fuel ports to the starter jets are clear (in the float cowl cover itself). Sometimes a little gas seeps out the pilot jet hole and allows a short burst of the bike starting, but the starter/choke circuits need to be clear and passing fuel to be able to really get the bike running.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

check the routing of the hoses.
        it's not unusal to get one crimped under the tank and causes fule startvation.

Keith Krause or Earl are the wizards, patience grasshopper. The
        masters will be here soon.
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

thank-you for your help got my GS1100GD started and you were right on.The bike ran good but the fuel was running all over the place.So I have floats,jets and needle valve asmabley on the way here . The grass hopper is learning.What RPM should the bike idle at?

Comment

Working...
          X