mixing bias ply with radials !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mixing bias ply with radials !!!

i hope you guys can clear this up for me. acording to various sources you cannot mix and match these tyres. why is that ? is it just for wet weather riding or will handling be affected in the dry too ? i have puzzled over this for a while now so i hope someone can clear this up for me. thanks...b.b.:?

Different tire/tyre technologies.
    they react totally different wet or dry.

Very bad idea
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

NOT!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'm guessing you already know you shouldn't mix bias and radials.

And I assume you also want to know why...

The construction of bias ply tires is quite different then radials. All tires need reinforcing of some sort, to be strong, durable tires. In the case of a bias ply tire, the reinforcement comes from overlapping and alternating layers of reinforced rubber, all formed in a mold- very low tech. A radial tire is the result of modern machining technology. The outside layer is put down on in the mold, then a spiral of cord or wire is formed into it. The spiral is then pressed into the sidewalls, and more rubber is applied to the mold. The result is a tire with a much stiffer sidewall than a bias ply tire.

The short of this all is that the bias ply tire will roll and slip sooner than a radial. Surprisingly, our tires always slip a little bit in a turn, even if it feels like it's sticking like glue. By mixing tires, the difference in the amount of slip is bad news.

Slightly related and of possible interest to you, I often get comments from people that are surprised that an 1100, even an old 1100, has such a skinny tire. The reason is becasue bias ply tires cannot be any shorter than 80% of thier width. The bead will not seat, beacuase the sidwall isn't stiff enough. A wide bias-ply tire would have to be so tall that it would weigh a ton, and the bike would not handle well.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

That Jethro knows some sheeeeeeeeeeeeeet! 8O

Comment

Mixing tires

Radial in front and bias in rear is a no-no!
            You may be able to run radial in rear and bias in front.
            MP

Comment

You know I'm the odd ball. No doubt Jethro has studied tires & knows a lot about them. All I know is from my own experience. Some people think you shouldn't run radials on these old GS's because they weren't designed for radials. I have mixed & matched radials & bias on several different bikes, and never felt any odd handleing or slipping or anything. I tried it on mu pick-up truck once, & I couldn't hold it in the road but I've had no problems with mixing them on bikes. I'm not recommending it, just telling what I've done. I also use tubeless tires on cast wheels that are not marked tubeless, for years. & never had any problems

Comment

hi, being pretty new to this forum I don't want to step on anyones toes but I thought I should correct a few things.

Bias ply tires and radials both use belts, it's how they're arranged that makes the difference. A bias plys belts run 30-40 degrees across the centerline of the tire bead to bead, each layer running the opposite way. A radial tire has belts running bead to bead at 90 degrees to centerline and then has belts running radially around the tire with the centerline.

A bias ply tire actually has much stiffer sidewalls than a radial. A radial moves with the forces of the road, this is why when you go across a crack in the road a radial doesn't try to follow it, it gives a little where as a bias ply being stiffer trys to follow it.

When cornering a radial rolls over with the cornering forces, this keeps your contact patch larger than a bias plys. This is also why you can go wider and lower profile with a radial, the contact patch flattens out as you do this, if it doesn't roll over with the cornering forces you ride off the edge very quickly.

Lastly, as far as mixing the two go. If you've done it without a problem so far, great. I liken it to going over train tracks, you've done it hundreds of times without a problem, but one time all the forces get together just right and you have a tank slapper. If you're lucky, it stops, if not....

Well I think I've even bored myself enough to get to sleep now, have a good one.

Comment

I have been running a 180 rear radial and a 100 front bias ply for about 10 years. I have never had a problem. The difference seems to be in the speed rating, if you want to run wide open at about 260km for about an hour then the bias ply may give out on you.

You have to adjust your riding style to your weakest tire anyway. I corner my bike hard, but I take it to where the front 100 bias can take it comfortably. My back 180 radial can surely out perform my front, but I have only 3/4 of an inch of chicken marks on it.

Now on the other hand, I only mix because I have to If you can get a matching set of tires for your ride in one form or the other, why would you want to mix them

8) Andre 8)

Comment

well thanks to everyone who gave an opinion. reason to mix tyres in the first place is because i have still to aquire a front wheel and tyre. i have the rear all set up but the gsxr front end will have to wait for a while till i get the wheel. thanks again to all...b.b.

Comment

This is getting interesting! :-) I would love to hear from anyone else that is mixing radials with bias and for which bikes, tires sizes, length of time, etc.

Earl
                      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Article

I recently saw a magazine article that explained this dilemma in great detail. I'm pretty sure it was in the latest edition of "Cycle" magazine....maybe someone else can confirm.
                        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Re: Article

I'll have to check that out. I would have put radials on the GS's long ago, but I havent found them to be available in applicable sizes for GS rims.

Earl

Originally posted by chuckycheese
                          I recently saw a magazine article that explained this dilemma in great detail. I'm pretty sure it was in the latest edition of "Cycle" magazine....maybe someone else can confirm.
                          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Bobo, I have always used the Metzeler Laser Me33 on my 1100, they perform awesomely and if I remember correctly they can be used with a rear radial (check for sure with your supplier) and come in a wide range of sizes.

Comment

Typo Jethro, Radials have softer side walls that bias ply tires.

Comment

Working...
                              X