Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sticking throttle cable when i turn right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sticking throttle cable when i turn right?

i have an 81 gs 650 and when i turn the bars to the right it revs up to about 5000rpm and then go back straight and the rpms drop to about 800. i know it is someting to do with the throttle cable but thought maybe some one has had this problem before and could shed some light on my problem.

thanks
    nicholas

The cable is getting pulled by somthing when you turn the handlebars, turn the bars full back and forth you should see whats causing the cable to move.
    my quess its wraped around somthing like another cable.

Comment

Moving the cables an inch can sometimes be the difference between closing smoothly or sticking.

Pull your fuel tank off and recheck the routing of the cables. Turn the bars full left, open the throttle, let it go and it should snap back closed. Repeat this at middle and full right positions.

If it's good, put the tank bank on (don't bolt it down yet) and repeat. If it's smooth, you're good. If not, you may have to adjust the cables up near the bars...it's sensitive in that area too.

~Adam

Comment

Yea, I had that problem, too.
        The cable ties Suzuki came up with for these bikes are little strips of metal that have one end that goes through a loop on the other. There are 2 or so that hold the throttle cable to the frame, under the gas tank.

If you loosen these up, you shouldnt have a problem anymore.

Comment

it might have something to do with your throttle cable freeplay adjustment.i had the same problem,till i figured out that i'd taken all the slack out of the throttlecable-- for quicker response :roll: --when i was adjusting it.you have to leave a few mils of play at the grip.( i tried this experiment several times-same results ) hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by breton
            it might have something to do with your throttle cable freeplay adjustment.i had the same problem,till i figured out that i'd taken all the slack out of the throttlecable-- for quicker response :roll: --when i was adjusting it.you have to leave a few mils of play at the grip.( i tried this experiment several times-same results ) hope this helps
            I had the same problem when i put my new bars on.I took all the play out of the throttle.I just gave it a couple of turns in at the throttle cable adjustment under the grip and the problem was gone.

Comment

Working...
            X