1983 suzuki GS550E regulator/rectifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 suzuki GS550E regulator/rectifier

I just replaced my RR on my *83 GS550e, it seems to be getting excessively hot. Is there anyone who can tell me how hot these are supposed to get? I would hate to have it get to hot and burn up and have to shell out that kind of money again.

Thanks
    Thomas

Re: 1983 suzuki GS550E regulator/rectifier

Originally posted by martin.t.a
    I just replaced my RR on my *83 GS550e, it seems to be getting excessively hot. Is there anyone who can tell me how hot these are supposed to get? I would hate to have it get to hot and burn up and have to shell out that kind of money again.

Thanks
    Thomas
    Thomas,
    I am really not sure exactly how hot they are supposed to get. But I did find while the bike is sitting still testing the charging system it gets hotter because of no airflow to cool it. I found that test riding the RR was warm but I could hold my hand on it. Sitting still it got to hot to keep my hand on it.
    Charlie

Comment

They get hot. By nature. If they're cold there's something wrong ;-) in fact, that's a sign of failure. All the energy in the bike goes through that thing.
      You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
      If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
      1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
      1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
      1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
      1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
      1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

There is 120 watts of power (minimum) through the regulator with the headlight on and the engine running. Grab a 120 watt lightbulb and see if it is the same temperature.

Current multiplied by voltage equals watts and watts through a resistance produces heat.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Thanks alot guys! Those little buggers are a little bit to expensive to replace more than once at a shot! I will test ride it and see how hot it gets, I have aslo seen some posts where guys mounted a 12v cpu fan to aid in cooloing. I think I might try that too

Thomas

Comment

believe it or not run without the side covers. I have an 83 GS550E and the side covers got mangled by the previous owner. I have pods and a 4 into 1 on mine and it runs very nice and looks cool with the open space behind the carbs...

Comment

Working...
            X