Kreeming a tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kreeming a tank

This is to anyone who has kreemed their tank. Do I have to remove the gas guage assembly from the tank first? Also, how did you seal the holes where the petcock and filler cap?

Yes definitley.you can use duct tape to cover the holes

Comment

kreem

When I did my tanks I removed the sending unit for the gas gauge and plugged the hole with an expansion plug that I got from a local pool supply store. I did the same thing with the gas cap. After I got done acid etching I used duct tape to cover the gas cap hole and left the plug where the sending unit goes. just make sure you remove the plugs before the kreem sets up, it will speed along with drying and make sure after you coat it you drain the excess kreem off, which is kind of difficult. On my gs650 I couldn't get enough of the kreem out that was unused and ended with icicles in my tank. Not a big deal but I'm a perfectionist. Also, make DAMN SURE you don't get any kreem on your paint, the thinner in it will eat it pretty quickly and it makes a friggin mess. Just be careful and don't rush the job and you'll never have to worry about it again. Also, make sure you take the petcock off before you acid etch it, the acid will eat the diaphram. My petcocks were shot anyways so I just took the old petcock, filled it with hot glue and used it for a plug. (Replaced with new ones.)

Comment

The secret is to take your time & follow the directions. DON"T even think about doing it inside It Needs to be done outside in the open air

Comment

I creamed my pants once?
          oops did I say that out loud

Comment

creamed my pants once?
            oops did I say that out loud
            No you just typed it. 8O

Yes, please remove the gauge assembly from the tank, otherwise the Kreem will foul it up and your gauge won't work.

Whenever I've done a tank (I've done 3 over the years), I've blanked off the holes (fuel gauge sender unit, and fuel tap) by using a piece of sheet aluminium cut to size with a rubber gasket (cut to size from a tyre tube), and bolted to the tank with the fuel tap or sender unit bolts.

As 'SqDancerLynn1' says, taking your time is the key. If you skimp on the preparation, don't be too surprised and upset if the treatment doesn't work.

Mike.

Comment

Working...
            X