Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exhaust studs snapped off - gotta get 'em out!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BNE:

Good luck with your restoration! My GS was in very rough, non-running, condion when I bought it. I worked on it in the driveway of the previous owner for a week before I could get it running enough to ride it home three miles away. Lots of rust, no side covers, swiss-cheese exhaust, fouled carburetors, bad points, seized calipers... you name it, it needed work. I've put a lot of work into it, and would do it again in a heartbeat. These are great machines.

Incidentally, I broke off an exhaust bolt too. I ended up drilling it out very carefully and installing a threaded insert. Luckily, it wasn't behind a frame tube, so I could get my hand drill in there. First, I center punched as close to the middle of the bolt as I could. Then, I used a center drill to make a pilot hole. Then I started drilling with a 1/8" bit, and worked my way up until the hole was cleared out, and finished with the proper size for the tap that came with the thread repair kit. I coated all bolts with Anti-Seize lubricant prior to re-assembly.

Comment

Working...
    X