Valve Cover Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Cover Caps

I'm preparing to replace my valve cover gasket, its leaking, and my manual doesn't explain how to remove the valve cover caps(the 4 shiny covers). One of them is already loose.

How do I get them off?

Thanks,

Terry

I'm assuming it's not an 1100E since mine are held by screws that are clearly visible. How about a model?

Comment

Ah,...., the model.... ..

1982 GS650G.

Terry

Comment

Terry,

Just commute 35 miles each way to work on California highways and they will vibrate right off! I only have one left now.

I *think* there is an opening at the bottom of each cap that should allow you to get a screwdriver in there to unscrew them. It looks like there are 2 screws holding each one on.

I'll double check my 81 650G when I get home (broken throttle cable)

Chris

Comment

They are a real pain to get to those screws, the easy way is to plan on checking your valve clearance,take the valve cover off, turn it upside down and you can tighten those screws.
          Or do what I did, take them out and put a thread sealent on so they won't vibrate loose again.

Comment

I?ve replaced those Phillips screws by stainles steel Allen screws, and add some drops of Loctite threadlocker (green).

Comment

actually, I have the '81 S650G, you don't need to remove the covers before pulling the valve cover, as that is the easiest way to get them on and off, with the valves exposed. if you have to replace the gasket, just pull the whole cover.

while you're at it, go get some allen head bolts to replace them, and some splined lockwashers to help keep them on. put the four covers back on then reinstall the whole valve cover!

Comment

Ok

So if I get this right, the caps are acutally attached to the cover, so they come off when I remove it. Makes sense, but it just didn't register.

Thanks to all...

Terry

Comment

Working...
                X