Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stiff Bike to Push

Hi Folks;
    I have a '83 GS 850. Runs Great. But really stiff to push.
    Tire pressure is good. Breaks don't appear to be binding.
    But when I'm in the saddle and I attempt to walk it...man-o-man it takes some effort. Bike weight is approx 560# wet.

Do you periodically have to grease the front/rear axle perhaps ??
    Changed final drive fluids resently...looked good.

Why sooooo stiff ?? Thanks for any help.

Get it up on its center stand and see if each wheel spins freely. If not, you may have bearings needing to be greased and/or changed......or the axle nuts could be over tight. My 850 is also not the easiest bike to "walk" while sitting on the seat, but rolls easy while I'm pushing/pulling from one side.

Comment

I have a '79 850, and an '83 1100gl. The 850 is a real bear to push around, the 1100 is a piece of cake compared to the 850.

Comment

Re: Stiff Bike to Push

Originally posted by Sebby
        Do you periodically have to grease the front/rear axle perhaps ??

Thanks for any help.
        That will have nothing to do with how easily(or not) the bike is to push. It certainly helps with future dissasembly, as the bearings and spacers won't "weld" themselves onto the axle. 8)
        Kevin
        E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
        "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
        Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Thanks folks.
          Dallyr, my bike too is alot easier to walk along side, but when it comes to sraddling the saddle and walkin it...WOW.
          Could the axle nut be too tight ?? Think this might loosen things a bit ??
          I'll check this.

Instructorpilot, I also have an '80 GS 850 that's a piece of cake to walk while on the saddle. But my '83 suzi is a "Bear" . The '80 had some work on it to lighten it a bit too.

Comment

Hard to push

I had the same problem with my 850 until I changed the wheel bearings. Now if I could only put that bike on a diet.

Comment

Check your wheels/tires on the centerstand, as already suggested.
              Bearings area a definite possibility, but it is also possible your brakes are dragging due to dirt or wear particles.

Try a can of brake cleaner spray. (Use only a product specifically meant for brakes) Just put something absorbent under it, then spray liberally in front and back of the pads, then the whole disk. Dries up in a few seconds and you're ready to ride.

I had the identical problem on my GS1100G when I first got it and the spray worked immediately. Now I use if several times a year, to eliminate buildup and keep the disk clean.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

its pretty simple physics, ur not getting enough leverage since the pivot point is your knee and your pushing with those very small muscles that handle the begging pivot of the knee.

Comment

Thanks Guys.
                  Argonsagas: I'm definitely gonna try the brake cleaner as a start...then work my way from there. Simple (inexpensive) stuff first.

Comment

Working...
                  X