Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time clutch removal -- suggestions???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time clutch removal -- suggestions???

Hello everyone,

The bike: '81 GS450L
    The work: clutch pushrod seal replacement

The questions:

The Clymers makes this look easy. I have been informed that I have to remove the clutch to gain access to the seal.
    What am I getting myself into?
    How long will this take for a first timer?
    Is there anything I should be aware of before diving in?

Many thanks in advance to everyone! :mrgreen:

Gaskets are sometimes a special order at the dealer , you may want to call them. The dealer near me was cheaper than all the internet sites for gaskets and I saved on the shipping cost.

Lean the bike over against a wall about 30 degrees and all the oil will run to the other side of the engine, saving the time and expense of draining it and all that.

keep all of the clutch packs together as a assembly, put them back in the same order. I put my clutch pack intoa plastic bag and put it somewhere out of the way and safe.

Cleaning the old gasket from the engine takes a while, clean all the small pieces up (I used compressed air to clean it all out)

I would replace the phillips head screws with allen heads or regular bolt head screws. I had to destroy 2 of mine to get them out, I used Stainless Steel hardware when it went together. You will need an impact screwdriver, 10 bucks from a auto parts store.

Measure the clutch plate thickness and if they are close to the limit specified in the Clymers manual I would replace them. Unless you want to do this again.

Buy a good quality brand of beer.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have a gasket kit on the way. It might not be here in time.... If it doesn't get here I was going to make one out of gasket material. Good idea or bad?

I am going to be tear the engine apart again anyway.. this time is just to stop the oil leak so I can ride it from home to school... about 200miles

How does Yuengling sound for a good beer? Those in PA know what I'm talking about. America's Oldest Brewery

:mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by hipster
        Thanks for the info. I have a gasket kit on the way. It might not be here in time.... If it doesn't get here I was going to make one out of gasket material. Good idea or bad?

I traced the factory gasket onto fiber-rubber gasket paper (same stuff the suzuki gasket was made out of) and it worked fine. There is a baffle formed by the gasket that controls the oil so it does not splash around on turns. You have to get the same shape. If you can save some of the old gasket you might be able to make one.

I am going to be tear the engine apart again anyway.. this time is just to stop the oil leak so I can ride it from home to school... about 200miles

How does Yuengling sound for a good beer? Those in PA know what I'm talking about. America's Oldest Brewery

Pottsville Pa, know the place well, Go for the lager.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

mmmm... good old Yuengling.

It's like a GS you cannot go wrong!

Comment

If you have questions drop me a line....I just did mine for the first time this past weekend.

Comment

Thanks shadow.. I'll keep you posted if I have questions.

Here's two for everyone:
              I was going to make a gasket out of a sheet of gasket material. Good idea or bad?

Also, am I understanding correctly that the engine does not have to be removed to pull the clutch?

Comment

Here is a big tip: don't pull the chain off before pulling the clutch. If you do, you'll need to figure out a way to hold the basket and hub together to loosen the main clutch nut. I ended up braking my hub becuase I didn't hold the hub well.

I was going to make a gasket out of a sheet of gasket material. Good idea or bad?
                I made my own gaskets for the clutch and stator covers and they were fine. Lasted years.

Also, am I understanding correctly that the engine does not have to be removed to pull the clutch?
                The engine can stay right in place while you pull the clutch. No problem.
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I made my own gaskets...no problem.

Definately leave the engine IN.

That was a great tip...leave the chain on or you will have to rig something up to hold the gasket in place.

Comment

Thanks Jethro and Shadow! My confidence is growing by the minute!

Comment

Working...
                    X