replacement keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacement keys

I just got a couple of replacement keys off of Ebay (thanks to the thread on getting new keys a week or so back.) Order was received great, no problems there. The new keys were indeed same number as old key and looked identical. The new keys worked in the seat lock, worked in the gas tank, but huh? The new keys didn't work in ignition. Strange, the old key worked just fine everywhere. The old and new keys were cut identically....hmmmmm.....Finally i noticed the shank on the old key was about 1/4 inch or more longer than the new keys. The new key wouldn't go in far enough!!! I ground back the wide part of the key about a millimeter or so, and voila!! Worked like a champ.

So if anybody else has this problem, just grind the key back so it'll go in all the way. BTW this is on a '79 GS1000E

Cool, that is good information to have. How much did those keys end up costing you. I had a local key & lock shop (not the Walmart style) make me a new key for about 3 bucks,

Comment

The two keys were $15. I thought about going to local locksmith but my old key was kinda worn, I didn't know how well a copy would turn out.

Comment

I was going to order one too. They didn't have the original Plastic knob.
        Had keys made at key shop instead. The locksmith can make allowances for worn key. Also I believe that you can have the dealer make a key from the key #

Comment

Originally posted by dallyr
          Cool, that is good information to have. How much did those keys end up costing you. I had a local key & lock shop (not the Walmart style) make me a new key for about 3 bucks,
          Gotta watch those Walmart guys. My buddy and I were on a trip and discovered we only had one set of keys for the truck. Whipped in to a local Walmart to get an allan wrench to take apart the mirror we bought at the auto wrecker,(another story). Hey! They cut keys here! Found the old fossil who cut the keys, handed him the GM keys, one round, one square, like they have been making for years. The guy asked me what they were for! Well, they did work. :?
          Kevin
          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

key thread

Can someone direct me to the thread referencing worn keys? I only have 1 key for my 750ESD and it is worn super bad. I'm not sure if a locksmith could cut a new one. Would Suzuki actually be able to send me a new key or would my only other optio nbe to have a new ignition key thinger put in?
            Cheers,
            Shaun

Comment

Gotta watch those Walmart guys. My buddy and I were on a trip and discovered we only had one set of keys for the truck. Whipped in to a local Walmart to get an allan wrench to take apart the mirror we bought at the auto wrecker,(another story). Hey! They cut keys here! Found the old fossil who cut the keys, handed him the GM keys, one round, one square, like they have been making for years. The guy asked me what they were for! Well, they did work.
              I swear Walmart has some real winners. I had an extra spare key for my Ram pickup made at Walmart. Now get this, the original key has a hard plastic head with a RAM embossed into it. After a song and dance about what kind of lock I had on my house I had to clear things up by telling this young "punk" it was a Dodge RAM key.

Comment

This guy had bunches of keys for sale on Ebay, just had to look for the 3 digit number that's on your key and bid on that key. He sold them pre-cut in sets of 2.

I don't see them now. You might try emailing the guy:

tanderso@tds.net

Hopefully he won't get upset that I posted his email address.

Comment

Working...
                X