GS550 coils/plug wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 coils/plug wires

Anybody out there know if the plug wires on a '77 GS 550 can be changed? I've tried everything I can think of to get mine off, and it looks like they're hardwired into the coil. If that's the case, is there any way to change the wires or will I have to do new coils? Any help in this area is appreciated!

I went the cheap way on my 1100 coils and chipped off the old epoxy and twisted/wiggled/pulled the old wires out. Clean out the hole with a jewelers screwdriver. Don't run a drill down there as you will destroy the prong used to make contact with the coil wire.

Then find yourself some new wires and put them in, add a little epoxy to hold them, and away you go.

Comment

The stock leads and coil are a sealed unit.
      You can do as Swanny said, or you can simply cut the lead and leave enough to use new heavy duty crimp style connectors or solder the new connection. I've never done this personally, but I've seen it done to other bikes, with no apparent problems.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

GS550 coils and plugs

Go with a set of Dyna coils (3 ohm green ones) and a set of Dynatek plug wires (DCM800).

MP

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, all. It looks like I'll be getting new coils (MSD or Dyna, haven't decided yet) to make the most of the MSD plug wires I've got. I appreciate the help, only a couple more parts and it's back on the road!

Comment

3 ohm coils (green ones)

Will those three ohm coils you speak of work on an 81 gs550 as well?
            Thanks
            uud

Comment

Three ohm coils are what is specified for your bike. Uhhh, thats a yes. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by uudfourty
              Will those three ohm coils you speak of work on an 81 gs550 as well?
              Thanks
              uud
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

The Dyna Green (3-ohm) coils are worth every cent.

Comment

Working...
                X