Tubed tire on mag rim? What the?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tubed tire on mag rim? What the?

So I decided that my rapidly balding front tire needed to come off today. I'd had the replacement since Christmas but finally got my engine out of the hoist so I could lift the bike just last night.

#1: This is a b!tch to do.
    #2: It's got a tube in it. This is the standard 19" GS 750 mag wheel. The old tire is a tube/tubless type (can go either way) but I dunno what I should be doing here. The replacement I bought is a tubeless.

So, what's going on here?

So, what's going on here?
    You are in the crossover period between tubed and tubeless designs. Some of the early mags were not marked "tubeless" and you are supposed to run a tube. I believe it had to do with concerns over the integrity of the rim holding air (ie. porous castings). My 82 1100E had the same situation and currently still has tubes inside a new set of Bridgestone BT-45's. It seems to work fine... Some people do run tubeless even with rims not so marked, but that is your choice. Some bike shops will not install a tire tubeless if the rim is not labelled for it.

Mark

Comment

my 1980 gs 750 has tubes also on mag rims and tubeless tires

Comment

I would not use tubes.

On both of my tires for my '80 850L (also 19" front mags, ) had tubes , in a tubeless tire, and tubeless rim. It worked fine.

however, when youve got a tube in there, it just makes extra friction on the inside thats unnecessary. cant say if it would make it dangerous or not, but it just seems logical to put tubeless tires, and tubeless rims, with no tubes.

I'd go tubeless. I have, and have had no problems. unless your rims arent tubeless.

poot

Comment

same here, tubes in the front tire on my '81450L

:mrgreen:

Comment

I was told by a shop that the rim has to be marked "tubeless". However, the marking on the tire doesent matter.

Comment

I replaced the tires (with some help ) and the old tires had tubes. However, we did not put tubes in the new tires and I've yet (500 miles) to see any loss of pressure. Before mounting the new tires I took a wire brush on a drill and went across all of the inside area where the bead would make contact with the rim. Also, I used automotive-type valve stems (the shorter type) and had to drill out the original holes so that they would fit properly. This is on an 81 1100 with the 5-point mags.

Brad tt

Comment

I've got a'78 Kaw 650SR that came from the factory with tubes. I understand that alot of the early cast wheels were not approved for tubeless. Some WERE but still came mounted with tubes (guess they were using up their "tube type" tires). I have an '83 Kaw 440 LTD that came with tubes & rims were stamped "TUBELESS". Anyway, the 650's wheels are stamped "TL" DOT, along with the rim sizes. The dealer that installed my last set of tires insisted on tubes because the rims didn't spell out TUBELESS. I can understand them erring on the side of caution but I can't imagine what the hell else "TL" would stand for other than TubeLess. Tires back then & sometimes still are listed "TT" for tube type & "TL" for tubeless although most today can be run either way.
                I'm going to install 'em myself this time--Tubeless!
                ED

Comment

Oddly enough, my 81 1100E has tubeless stamped right on the rims, and I know they are orig. stock. Everyone I talk to says it's impossible that my 81 has tubeless rims, but there it is, "TUBELESS" marked right on the rim.
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

My 1981 GS650GL and GS1000GL both have tubeless stamped mag rims, but my 1981 GS1000G has tubeless stamped mag rims but because of corrosion on the rim I'm forced to use tubes in it. I don't have any problems with any of my tires.

Randy

Comment

Working...
                    X