How To Clean A Tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Clean A Tank?

I am fine with the phosphoric acid part, my question is - how do you plug off the openings to keep the acid inside while it's cleaning things out? There is the filler neck, the petcock and float openings to be plugged. What is the best choice for this?

Thanks,
    Mark

I used an old bicycle innertube and duct tape. Cut a piece of the inner tube slightly larger then the opening, then duct tape over it.

Comment

How to clean a tank

Hi, Mark.

For the top I just used some masking tape.

What I did for the fuel gauge hole, was leave the gasket in the opening and I took a 4" electrical box blank cover and made a template of paper and drilled the 5 holes in the blank cover and used the original bolts to hold it on.

For the petcock opening, this was a little harder but worked good.
      I found a piece of aluminum plate, approx 1/8" thick, and cut it long and wide enough to cover the opening. Drilled 2 holes for the bolts, then used some red rubber gasket material to make the seal. But I also drilled the plate so I could drain the tank without turning it upside down and making a big mess or getting cleaning solution all over myself. I drilled the plate then used a 1/4" pipe tap to make threads in it. Screw in a short 1/4" pipe nipple and a 1/4 x 1/2" bushing and then a 1/2" ball valve. In the valve I put a 1/2" pipe by garden hose adaptor so I could put on a piece of drain hose right into a bucket.

Good luck,Rich
      I have some photos but I cant post them. I can send them if you would like if you post your e mail.

Comment

I have some photos but I cant post them. I can send them if you would like if you post your e mail.
        Not necessary, your description made perfect sense to me. Thanks for the ideas, I can manage it now after some direction.

Mark

Comment

Working...
        X