No announcement yet.

Pinging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I like to try simple first, so I will try a cleaner. where can I get sea Foam at? I havent noticed it at the local parts stores (AutoZone, Advance, O'Reillys, etc) and is this stuff better than the chevron techron? I have heard good and bad things about both of these products, and want to know, will either harm the carbs? I have used the generic carb cleaners, such as gumout through the tank will no ill effects, but want to be sure...

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01
      Well, I like to try simple first, so I will try a cleaner. where can I get sea Foam at? I havent noticed it at the local parts stores (AutoZone, Advance, O'Reillys, etc) and is this stuff better than the chevron techron? I have heard good and bad things about both of these products, and want to know, will either harm the carbs? I have used the generic carb cleaners, such as gumout through the tank will no ill effects, but want to be sure...
      what grade of petrol do you always use Tim???

Comment

Like I said, I have used it in my automobiles and my motorcycles, and never had any ill affects. Just make sure you mix proportional to the amount of gas you have.

Here is their website:

Comment

Scotty, I mostly use regualr unleaded, 87 Octane, but the problem is there even if I use Premium 93 octane. thats why at first I though I was running lean or something, and why I did all that work I stated earlier. Pulling my hair out now!! lol

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01
            Scotty, I mostly use regualr unleaded, 87 Octane, but the problem is there even if I use Premium 93 octane. thats why at first I though I was running lean or something, and why I did all that work I stated earlier. Pulling my hair out now!! lol
            All I was saying it that using the regular all the time could have brought the problem on--Even the guys who use regular usually run high test through the beast avery few tanks--I dont know the schedule--I use high test in everything and choke when the credit card bill comes in 8O 8O

Comment

Well, I finally found the Sea Foam, it was at O'Reilly's Auto Parts. I usually don't use Premium Only because I have been taught to use the lowest octane fuel needed without knock or ping, as premium fuel does not have any more 'detergents' than regular. I will try the Sea Foam in the tank and take a ride this weekend and see what happens...........

Comment

I can't help wonder if something has been done to the gas. Over the last few years I have noticed an increase in pinging with ALL of my vehicles. My GS only has 12K on it and it pings more than it should. I even started mixing avaiton gas with premium in my old brit bikes to reduce pinging (also low miles on them) and I had to start mixing premium in my Jeep to stop pinging. The more I think about it I suspect Saddam Hussien has something to do with this !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lich
                  I can't help wonder if something has been done to the gas. Over the last few years I have noticed an increase in pinging with ALL of my vehicles. My GS only has 12K on it and it pings more than it should. I even started mixing avaiton gas with premium in my old brit bikes to reduce pinging (also low miles on them) and I had to start mixing premium in my Jeep to stop pinging. The more I think about it I suspect Saddam Hussien has something to do with this !!!
                  Thats the only sensable solution--that blyter

Comment

Just stay away from that horrible ARCO gas, that stuff is a killer. I thought my car was about to die before I realized it was just ARCO. They put in like 10% of something (ethanol if i remember correctly) that's why it's always 10-15 cents cheaper. Plus that stuff contains really bad pollutants called PCBs which get into the water supply, that's what causes all the frogs with 6 legs and stuff. enough ranting for now

Comment

Well, not PCB (those are from transformers), but MTBE, an antiknock additive used to replace lead. It has been removed from most fuel nowdays due to the 'frog-leg' effect. It was hailed the cure for lead until that started happening. since then, fuel has been "oxydised' using a blend of fuel and up to 10% enthanol derivative. Thats why it goes bad so quick. I guess it doesnt effect fuel injected cars so bad, but sure plays hell on the ole' carb. but you are right, it does seem to have gotten worse over the years....

Comment

Yeah.....gas ain't just liquified dinosaurs anymore.

Comment

OK, It is Sunday night, went on a 135Mile bike ride today, using the Sea Foam. Seemed to help alittle, but pinging still there. i had another problem pop up, and do not know if it is related. When the bike was going down the highway, between 55-65 MPH, and the throttle was open, maybe 1/4 to 1/3 open, not moving throttle, just keeping speed, I would get what felt like a lean-out or something, bike would start to pull down, and sounded like running on 2 cyl. for a moment. I would just blip the throttle open alittle, real fast, and would return to normal immediately. problem wouldnt happen again for quite some time, and then same results when 'blipped'. ran pretty good otherwise, only pinged when I was going up a hill, at 60MPH thereabouts, and at 3/4 throttle in 5th gear. RPM was 3600. funny thing, as long as I was constantly moving the throttle, I would never get the bog-down at all. just when I held the throttle constant. this is really getting weird, and i consider myself very mechanically inclined, Do aviation for a living, and i am totally stumped on this. Could it be ignition? i tend to think Carbs, being that is seemed throttle-related, almost as though I am running lean. does anyone has ANY suggestions of what could be going on? One more question, I noticed on the carb rebuild section, that on the slide-bores, the guy was having to use a wooden stick to remove them from the carb ( pic # 22). I thought these moved up and down anyhow, when the bike was running. If they are that stuck to get out, wouldnt that cause the bike to run very lean, or not accelerate at all? again, thanx in advance, and ANY help would be appreciated.......

Comment

Anyone??.........

Comment

Another thing, Just pulled plugs this AM, and are as follows: #1 Light Brown....#2 Grey...#3 White....#4 brown......any suggestions?

Comment

Well, just for info, incase anyone else gets this problem. I found out what was causing the surge/lean out condition. I was riding yesterday when it did it again and then started smelling badly of gas. I nursed it home, pulled the plugs again and noticed #4 pipe was cold, and plug was very wet and black. Pulled the drain screw, started to drain carb and let fuel go by, figuring the needle valve was clogged with crap keeping it stuck open. removed it, cleaned it, reinstalled carbs and ran bike. still bad. Removed carbs again, and started to remove all the jets from #4 to clean them again, and low-and-behold, when I removed the pilot jet plug, the jet was laying loose on the bottom. Apparently what happened was the jet came loose, and fell to the bottom of the tube against the rubber plug. Reinstalled, tightened, replaced carbs back on the bike, and runs as good as ever. something to check out next time someone gets a problem like this.

Comment

Working...
                                X