X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Caliper seizing / dragging

Okay guys.. REMEMBER ME?

Anyway.. here is the situation
    1982 GS1100GLZ about 24000 miles. Factory brakes... factory master cylinder... Finally got the bike to start and everything.. Found out that its not charging.. THANK GOD FOR THE STATOR PAPERS... that will be fixed soon....

Anyway..
    Everytime i drive the bike now.... when i drive it for a while... the back brakes start to drag and eventually it will totally grab and its soo hard to move the bike. It seems like the rear calipers are seizing.. but when you open the bleed screw the calipers go back in.

So.. I already rebuilt the rear caliper. So there is no way its that..

being a mechanic.i know.. when the breaks get hot and fluid expands..and the brakes start to drag.. that usuall y means that the compensation port is blocked and cannot relieve the fluid pressure back to the resevoir. soo.. the next thing i did was rebuilt the master cylinder.
    well... Did that.. bled the system.. and the brakes after a while still does the same thing... When this happens.. you can feel the pedal get really stiff.. and there is no travel or play.. its like its building pressure and cannot relieve it..

Then i checked for Brake pedal travel and height. and it seemed that the pedal was not returning to its "off" position like a millimeter off... but.. when i try to put it back to its location its still doing it.. so...

I am still thinking its a compensation port.. even tho i rebuilt it.... open to any ideas..

please help
    George

Sounds like the little hole in the master cylinder is plugged. Just went through this on a 550. After sitting overnight the brakes were totally locked up. Went through the master again and found a little flek of something in the vent. Cleaned it out and now brakes are fine.

Comment

i have seen this several times on bikes and it usely is in the master cylinder but i have all so seen it be a bad flex line : clean the what we nicknamed the bleedback hole in the master cylinder it is usely the smaller hole thats there

Comment

THank you all for the info. I am having the same EXACT problem with my front brakes. Can I do the same thing with the master cylinder up there?

[help]
        Also, how hard is taking it apart to find this hole?
        Can anyone tell me whereabout to find this compensation port?
        I have the clymer for my Suzuki GS750L as a reference.
        I'm guessing that this "Compensation Port" is going to be on the
        "Piston and Cup set" that the clymer manual talks about?
        All the other parts seem to be too big to get affected by little bits of mess
        in the fluid.
        [/help]

I took the bike in for service on the fork seals and steering bearing and the mechanic messed with my front brakes claiming that he "inspected them". Now they don't work...

But I know that with the GSResources on my side I can overcome this!!

Dm of mD

Comment

I found some good info...
          WAY better than the stupid Clymer manual on how to service and bleed brakes!!!

Please recheck the URL for the proper spelling. Or use our search box at the top of this page to find what you're looking for.

The bleeding part is on the right hand side of the page.

Dm of mD

Comment

my brake pedal arm had rusted take it out and grease it it may help

Comment

Working...
            X