Rivet Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rivet Tool

Okay, so I'm going to be changing out the chain/sprockets soon, and I felt it would be better to go with a rivetted link versus the standard master link. What exactly is involved with this method, and is it possible to get a tool? I just can't see trying to hammer a rivet with the chain on the bike and have it be very effective.

Thanks
    Brad tt

Dennis Kirk tool for $90.00

I just use something solid behind the link (metal block) and use
    a ball peen hammer to round the rivets.

Comment

I've used master links for years without a problem (knocking on wood right now).
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

The clip style master links?

Dm of mD

Comment

Yeah, I've probably had 6 of those type of connector link chains on my 1100 without a single problem (again with the knocking of the wood).
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I have used nothing but clip type master links for 30 years. I've broken chains, but never at the master link. Never had a clip come off either.
            I install a masterlink and clip one time. If I need to remove it for any reason, I install a new masterlink and clip.

Earl

Originally posted by Detman101

Dm of mD
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
              I have used nothing but clip type master links for 30 years. I've broken chains, but never at the master link. Never had a clip come off either.
              I install a masterlink and clip one time. If I need to remove it for any reason, I install a new masterlink and clip.

Earl

Originally posted by Detman101

Dm of mD
              Ah okay. I think I will go this route as I will need a new chain and sprockets by the summer and I don't have 50+ dollars for a rivet tool.
              Thanks!

Dm of mD

Comment

Make sure to put the clip on correctly - closed end facing the direction of movement also put a dab of orange silicon on the clip Makes it easy to verify if the clip is still their

Comment

Thanks for the replies all. Looks like I'll just go with the clip type master link and make sure I check it regularly. I had a shop do the 750 and they did the rivet-type, but I'm doing the 1100 on my own. That tool just ain't in the budget right now.

Brad tt

Comment

You can always install the clip & ride it to the dealers & have them rivit a link

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                      You can always install the clip & ride it to the dealers & have them rivit a link
                      I didn't even think of that. Thanks.

Brad tt

Comment

If youre really worried about the clip, you can clean the sideplate on the link and the clip with acetone. Install the clip and put a dab of JB Weld holding the clip to the sideplate. You can remove the JB if need be with a dremel and
                        a hard felt wheel.

Earl

Originally posted by bradleymaynar
                        Thanks for the replies all. Looks like I'll just go with the clip type master link and make sure I check it regularly. I had a shop do the 750 and they did the rivet-type, but I'm doing the 1100 on my own. That tool just ain't in the budget right now.

Brad tt
                        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Motorcycles have chains???????? :P
                          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage
                            Motorcycles have chains???????? :P
                            Quiet you!

Brad tt

Comment

Motorcycles have chains????????
                              Only the good ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X