Turn Signal Control / Cancel Unit 1979 GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dodger1
    I've had problems with my self-cancelling also. They'll work fine for the first 10-15 minutes or so, then, depending on ambient temps, become erratic and finally go completely dead. The warmer the ambient the faster they fail. Obviously heat-related, but there isn't enough slack in the harness to move the box away from it's location. Anyone else have this temperature-related effect?
    I would take the two connectors apart and shoot some contact cleaner in there followed by some 30-30 or similar lube. Push the connectors together a few times to help clean off any light corrosion that may be causing poor contact.
    I've never seen this part of the harness wiring over heat, so hopefully you just have some poor corrosion related connections.
    These signal units are sensitive though and I've seen a lot of similar problems as you're having. One side stops...then works...then the other side stops...then both sides.
    A lot of people try replacing the switch at the bars or the flasher. But it's usually the unit. By the way, the 2 wire flasher doesn't know left or right, if it fails, you lose BOTH sides.
    As I said earlier, I suggest gluing a 1" pad of foam to the unit, to seperate it from vibration/shock through the battery case. I don't know if this will help yours that's already showing a possible problem.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
    X