Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New fork seals, new fork tubes, still leaking, HELP

Hello All,

I wonder if any of you can be of help. I have a 1978 GS550, that had rusty pitted fork tubes when I bought it. Oddly enough they didn't leak then. I ordered brand new fork tubes from a place that specializes in fork tubes (Forks By Frank). I ordered the ones for my model but when they arrived the did not fit the lower fork legs (too long). I called the shop, and I was told that they made the tubes for the factory specs of a 1978 GS550 (Base model), but that they were not surprized as apparently Suzuki was notorious back in the old days for making changes mid year, and for different markets (I have a Canadian Bike). So I sent back the tubes, along with my old tubes, and they remade tubes baised on the old ones for no extra charge.
    Another strange thing I encountered was that my factory seals had washers underneath them that looked as though they were some sort of oil scraper. I damaged one of them when I removed the seal. In the 1977 factory suzuki manual I have, it shows only a seal, no washer.

When I replaced the seals I used Genuine Suzuki seals that I ordered but I noticed that they fit the tubes, but didn't seem to fit as tightly arround the tube as I would like. After all was said and done both fork seals leaked! I was frustrated and left them that way (Leaking)
    I've just ordered new aftermarket seals, and I noticed that they are supposed to fit 1977 - 1980 gs550 and 550e bikes. So what gives? Did I get the wrong seals from Suzuki? Why was there a spacer below the factory setup that didnt show up in the manual? Will I ever get the forks to stop leaking???

What are your thoughts and experiences?

I am no expert on forks but i did mine and they seem to be ok .The seals should be tight on the tubes as i remember, about the washer if it was there i highly recommend putting it back exactly the way suzuki had it . check some of the drawings on bike bandit i am sure you will come up with the part.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the bike bandit tip. The have all the diagrams AND the part numbers If only I had known about that two years ago when I had the bike all apart.

Comment

Their is a bettersite
        Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

Not knocking bikeBandit I have purchased alot of parts from them Their listing no longer gives you the suzuki part # just an in house #

Comment

Try very hard not to pound your new seals in. If it takes more force than just pushing with your fingers then something is not lined up right. pounding in new seals can make them leak.

Comment

Did you mike the new tubes to see if they are the same diameter as the old ones?

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
              Did you mike the new tubes to see if they are the same diameter as the old ones?
              Yes they are the same diameter. I guess I'll wait and see when the new seals come in to see how tightly they sit on the tubes. The original seals were in very tight. it was a pain to get them out. I did have to pound the new ones in. I'm guessing that I got the wrong seals.

Comment

Originally posted by roadwarrior
                Originally posted by Swanny
                Yes they are the same diameter. I guess I'll wait and see when the new seals come in to see how tightly they sit on the tubes. The original seals were in very tight. it was a pain to get them out. I did have to pound the new ones in. I'm guessing that I got the wrong seals.
                Very possible. They should be tight.

Comment

what a huge coincidence... I have an '83 GS550E and my front fork down tubes are marked "Forks By Frank".... and they constantly leak. I checked the specs against what's in the clymers and haynes I have and they match. I out new fork seals on this winter and they are seeping pretty bad. I'll watch this thread with great anticipation.

Comment

HA HA... I found the guys number... 847-475-1003 was the number that was posted... this means the guy is more or less in my area... I'm going to give him a call and see what he suggests.

***edit to add***

Hmm conflicting info a bit... same "name" different phone number...
                    Frank's Maintence and Engineering
                    312-869-6792
                    945 Pitner
                    Evanston, IL 60202
                    AKA Forks by Frank
                    parts--forks

***edit again***
                    here's the website

http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/

Comment

If thne bushing are gone or "used up" then you can continue to put in seals and they will leak.
                      Check the bushings also.

After 2 sets in my E I need to replace the bushing s also.
                      Learn from my mistake, do it all at once.
                      Keith
                      -------------------------------------------
                      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Stupid question...

If the forks call for an amount of air pressure to be in them will it require the air to form a seal?

Comment

Well it looks like I found the problem. When I replaced the forks the first time they were Suzuki parts, and they came in a bag. I installed them the way that looked right (The Manual didn't say that there was a top and a bottom). The second set of seals that I bought were aftermarket seals, and they came with instructions. The seals I had installed were UPSIDE DOWN! I installed the new aftermarket seals right side up and voalla, no leaks. So for anyone out there installing new seals, make sure the side with the tiny writing on it goes up.

Comment

Mine have leaked for sometime, I wish I had a step by step photo procedure like they have for the carb rebuild somewhere. :?

Comment

If someone will document (or has documented) their fork seal repair/replacement with photos and/or words, I will be happy to make it into a web page and add it to the collection:

PM me for instructions if you have anything to contribute.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                              X