Newb with dumb question ... Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newb with dumb question ... Help

Hello all, I am new to the site and just got 82 GS650L. She wont start. Sitting on the bike, looking forward, how are the cylinders numbered ie left to right 1234. The reason I am asking this is because all the plug wires are off and I dont know witch cylinders they go to. Any help would be great here, thanks. Mike

Cylinders 1 and 4 use the same coil and 2 and 3 use the same coil. So the center cylinders are top dead center (hence fire the same) and the outside cylinders are top dead center and fire the same time. So you should have only a couple of combinations to get your firing correct. Typically as you are sitting on the bike you number your cylinders left to right and the coil on your left is 1 and 4 and the coil on your right is 2 and 3. Hope that helps . Andy

Comment

Chewey,

On your GS I believe the cyliners are numbered left to right as you sit on the bike. However, it really doesn't matter so long as the wires for cylinders 2 and 3 go to the middle cylinders and the ones labeled 1 and 4 go to the outer cylinders.

The GS has a 180 degree crank shaft with cylinders 1 and 4 going up and down together and 2 and 3 going up and down together 180 degrees out of sync with cylinders 1 and 4.

Two spark plugs fire at the same time off one coil. One plug ignites the fuel/air in the cylinder that is completing a compression stroke, the other fires at the end of an exhaust stroke so it does nothing because the fuel/air in the cylinder has already been spent. This allows the distributor to be eliminated.

Comment

Maybe more than you are asking...but if 1 & 4 firing at same time and 2 & 3 firing at same time seems confusing, also keep in mind that when firing for, say, #2 at TDC compression it is also firing #3 although its the exhaust stroke for that cyclinder, so its firing twice too often.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Just got it running thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
          X