Crankcase vent- stinks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crankcase vent- stinks!

I put a fancy air filter on my crankcase vent line and routed it to under the right side frame cover. Man, it look so coooool!! :?

Anyway, the odor that comes form that thing is nasty! Very heavy with the smell of gas. I am 100% sure my petcock and float valves are keeping gas out of the crankcase- is it normal for the vent to smell of gas?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Gas? No. Oil vapers yes with maybe a bit of a fuel smell but to really stink of raw gas no. Maybe clean the filter and then pop it back on? Might be something on the element?

Comment

Long notes
      Hey Jethro!!!
      I can't figure out what size hose goes on the crankcase vent spigot.
      I have a hose on there that is WAY too big but I cut a section out of it lengthwise and duct-taped and epoxied it to the size of the crankcase spigot that sticks out of teh engine.

Cliff notes: What size hose goes on the Crankcase vent?

Thanks,
      Dm of mD

Comment

Detman, I'm not quite sure myself, here is how I attached mine- I used the original hose that usually connects to the air box (which both you and I no longer have), then I stuffed a 1/4" hose inside that tube and cinched down with a hose clamp. This allows me to adjust the length of the hose fairly well by sliding it up further inside the other hose.

I'm guessing the size of the hose that clamps on to the breather cover is about 3/4" or so? It's pretty big...

Maybe clean the filter and then pop it back on?
        The filter only has a few hours on it. And on the cold mornings steam pours out of it- I'm guessing that's totally normal due to heat of the engine. The smell isn't like raw gas, maybe it's just what hot oil smells like? I was suprised to have it smell so strong though.
        Currently bikeless
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Kewl, Thanks Jethro!

I'll have to buy some of both size hoses later...

Dm of mD

Comment

You may just need to get used to it then. I have mine routed down beside the battery box. My other bike though has it right under the tank and I never noticed any smell or steam? I wonder if that is normal for the 1100? It shouldn't be excessive I wouldn't think?

Comment

When I first brought my bike home it had a real bad petcock and my crankcase filled with gas. Eventhough I have had the carbs rebuilt and a brand new petcock put on that I am sure 100% doesn't leak with engine off, I have been hypervigilant about checking the crankcase for the gas smell. Which I immediately thought I was smelling, however I had a couple of friends smell it on a little ride and they both agreed that was what hot oil in old engine smelled like.

Comment

Yes! The answer I was looking for. It's normal.

I've always liked an old, stinky, pig. 8O
                Currently bikeless

Comment

Jethro also remember the more loose your engine is the more blowby thats going out the vent You probaly did not want to think about it did you ??

Comment

Jethro,

1/2" ID at the crank vent, fit the filter as needed. Mines a K&N, 3/8" OD. I put a short piece of 3/8 ID hose on the filter and slipped it inside the 1/2". Phew. GS1100ED's don't get loose, just the back tire.

Chris

Comment

I have run filterless on both of my GS's...and I got annoyed with the current setup venting crankcase below me under the tank. I ran a 3/8" heaterhose line from Autozone (2 feet was plenty) down under the carbs and out on the right side near the rear master cylinder. So far so good...I think I smell less like crankcase vent gas now.

~Adam

Comment

If I remember correctly, Joe Nardy had run his back under his seat near the rear fender. This was while he was still doing some winter work and it was apart. You may want to PM him Jethro.

Brad tt

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymaynar
                          If I remember correctly, Joe Nardy had run his back under his seat near the rear fender. This was while he was still doing some winter work and it was apart. You may want to PM him Jethro.

Brad tt
                          All I did was 'borrow' Keith Krause's setup. All the credit goes to him. With this setup I occasionally get a whiff of gas but it is hardly noticeable. There is some gunk buildup in the cup that can be dabbed up with a paper towel. All the credit for this setup goes to Keith:

Another option is to run the hose all the way back along the frame rail to the rear cowl and forget the filter. This is how the old 1000cc superbikes did it.

Joe
                          IBA# 24077
                          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

*tempted to copy that rig..*
                            You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                            If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                            1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                            1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                            1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                            1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                            1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by stiksave
                              Jethro,

1/2" ID at the crank vent, fit the filter as needed. Mines a K&N, 3/8" OD. I put a short piece of 3/8 ID hose on the filter and slipped it inside the 1/2". Phew. GS1100ED's don't get loose, just the back tire.

Chris

Awesome!! THanks for the figures. That makes it much easier!

Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
                              X