Slides stuck, any ideas??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slides stuck, any ideas??

OK folks, here's the question of the day. Just got a hold of a 1972 GT750J that sat in it's corner for 10+ years. Carb slides are stuck, and I mean STUCK. I've liberally applied love lotion(not KY you perverts,PB Blaster) and tapped lightly on slides for a few days, no go. Gonna try the freeze/hot water trick and then CLR(lime dissolver). Anybody have any other ideas? Thanks, Bob

Did you try spraying carb cleaner on them?

Moonshine550t

Comment

I had the same problem with my gt550, here is what I did. First I soaked tha carb bodys with slides in WD40. That worked on two of them after about two hours. WD-40 is the greatest stuff on earth. The other carb, It was the left one, I had to soak in warmed up gunk carb cleaner. The one that comes in a gallon container. I know it sounds dangerous but I used a single burner hotplate and heated it up to about 120 degrees, used a thermometer, and let it soak for about four hours. It came loose after that with a light tap.

Al

Comment

Carb cleaner sounds good.

Spray the carb cleaner on them. Dont be too liberal. That junk is not good for any of the rubber parts, but it'll free up the slides. I used some penatrating oil to get some of my parts out. Try removing the main jet and you might be able to get some to leak down into the needle and free it up. That might be what is holding the slide.
        Is this a water buffalo we are talking about? If so what kind of shape is it in? Do you have the three into four pipes, and the front drum brake on it?
        A guy is selling one on E-bay right now. It looks like it is in good shape and not too hard to restore.

Comment

If its sat in the corner for 10+ years I wouldn't worry too much about damaging the rubber parts with any sort of cleaner. They probably have dried into dust molecues or have fossilized by now.

Comment

Are these still on the bike? Since you're talking about two aluminum parts stuck together, it may be corrosion and not gum sticking these parts together. I'd definitely be doing this off the bike so you can get at them better, and also work towards a complete rebuild on these puppies.

If it's gummed up, you'll just have to eat away at it with carb cleaner. I personally prefer Berrymans, but they're all about the same. If you have rubber parts than can't be salvaged, then you might attempt a dunk in the carb bath, but understand that if your rubbers were good before they won't be when you're done.

Corrosion is another issue. The slides may have become one with the carb bodies... Ooommmm. Not a good thing. In this case the best you can hope for is to break the corrosion down while slowly working the slides up and down to work some lubrication (carb cleaner is not lubricating, but WD-40 is and perhaps something like LiquidWrench) into the the slide area. Eventually it should work free. Try not to pry on it and if you do attempt to lift from below the slide inside, use something soft like a wooden dowel.

Good Luck!

Roger Moore

Comment

Working...
            X