Carb Rebuild Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Rebuild Question

So I'm almost done rebuilding my carburetors-- great guide, by the way-- and I'm to the point of replacing the air screws. I'm looking at this picture and I can't for the life of me figure out how I"m supposed to get it out! There aren't any notches or anything to get ahold of with a screwdriver, and if I poke at the edges, I can't get it to come up far enough to get under it and get it out.

So how am I supposed to get it out?

Can you unscrew the airscrew, but can't get it to come out of the carb? Or, is there an aluminum plug blocking airscrew itself?

If the latter, then you have to drill them out.

If the former, I have no idea.... mine slid right out when I unscrewed them an tilted the carb over. The o-ring down in there required a set of needle nosed forceps.

Comment

Originally posted by Espumoso
      Can you unscrew the airscrew, but can't get it to come out of the carb? Or, is there an aluminum plug blocking airscrew itself?
      I guess it's the latter. It's a solid metal cylinder with a tiny pinhole drilled through the center, right where the picture I linked to has the screwdriver.

If the latter, then you have to drill them out.
      Hoo boy, it's tiny! I had better be very careful...

-=Eric

Comment

Be VERY careful, the screw lies just beneath the cap and if you go to deep you risk buggering up slot to remove the screw (voice of experience). If you can enlarge the hole barely and screw the tip from a grabber screw into the hole you can usually pry them out. Sometimes while you are drilling the cap will spin and come out also.

Just go slow and be careful not to press to hard...they are aluminum so they are soft. Ohce out use a GOOD fitting screwdriver to remove the screws and count how many turns IN then write it down so when you replace them they get put back to the same depth. Do not seat the screws to tight or you may risk breaking off the small point on the end of the mixture screw, just barely seat it.

Scud

Comment

If you use a drill, use a variable speed and go SLOWWWWWWW and DON'T cut all the way through. If the bit cuts all the way through the plug it will grab and pull into the air screw underneath. Remember, light pressure, go slow, and don't cut all the way through. Finish by poking a hole and prying out.

Comment

If you have access to a self taping sheet metal screw. Screw it into the lead plug then grab with a pair of pliers and pull it out. Don't have to worry about drilling too far in with that method.

Comment

...and another suggestion: If you choose to drill, use a drill press. Then you can set the press so that it CAN'T penetrate too deep. Why take a chance when you don't have to.

Don't have a drill press? Find someone who does -- it'll be worth the trouble NOT to screw (pardon the pun) it up.

Regards,
              Steve 8)

Comment

A #4 self tapping screw will thread into the existing hole and you can grip the screw and pull the plug out.

Earl
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Working...
                X