Handicap riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handicap riding

I would love to start riding. However, I am physically disabled.
    I can walk most of the time, but my legs are somewhat weak.
    Whats you opinion or advice?

Honestly, I wouldn't ride. And if I did ride, I'd keep myself contained on a racetrack. At least then everyone else is doing what i'm doing, and not trying to kill me.

if not riding isn't an option. (I can understand that) We've seen at least one rider carry crutches in a holster on his bike. But he did have one GOOD leg.

If your legs are just "weak" A smaller bike might be a good idea, but you haven't given us a good idea of to what extent you are disabled.

If you want to get kinky, landing gear are an option. They're available for goldwings. and I can come up with several good designs that would be really simple.
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Atom, have you considered a trike? I had a friend that was handicapped and that is what he rode.

Comment

Um... unless it's got two wheels in the front, DO NOT buy a trike. the CG is all off, and unless you slowly work up to it, they can be deathtraps. I can dig up proof if you like, and it's all in tip over angle.

if you want a bike like experience while driving something, look at track day cars.

I'm sorry, I value my friends here to much to let them ride trikes... :-/

http://www.rqriley.com/3-wheel.htm For starters...
        You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
        If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
        1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
        1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
        1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
        1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
        1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Anything can be a deathtrap. I saw a guy out here the other day with limited use of his legs riding a trike. He had it setup so everything was done with his hands. Pretty cool.

Live your dreams.

Comment

I would look into the "landing gear" option. It eliminates the need for you to put your feet down when stopping and is automatically extended and retracted. I think that is a better choice than considering a trike.

Earl
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Sidecars are an option too. Ural makes some real cool ones that go anywhere...

I once saw a guy in a wheel chair that rode a sidecar rig. He wheeled himself up into the sidecar and strapped it down and had all the controls moved over so he never had to get out of his wheel chair. It was really cool...

Comment

Well, I rode with a guy who had 2 telescoping canes. I later read his story and turns out he was in a bike accident and crushed a vertibrae in his back. Doctors said He'd never walk again. Turns out, with the use of the canes, he does and can.

I happened to just meet him, along with a few others. This guy has a Bandit and an old CB 250. When I rode, he was on the CB 250 cause he was preparing the Bandit for a trip to the mountains. So, I keep up fine with this little 250, then we hit the twisties and this guy just blows me away.

So, YES YOU CAN. I don't know the specifics and I don't want to give out his e-mail address, but I could maybe post his website.

I'll check with him and get back with you.

8)

Comment

try out the trike. one of my neighbors has one and he seems to have a blast. I also spoke with a guy with some massive hip issue, he switched to a trike and was happy to be on the road.

Have you ridden at all before? What is spiking your interest in riding?

Comment

Handicap riding

Thanks for the advice. I do like the so called training wheels option. thanks for the advice again, you have helped.

Comment

In the UK we have an organisation called the National Assoication for Bikers with a Disability, I'm a member. they have done some remarkable work on getting people back in the saddle both safely and comfortably.

They may well be able to point you in the right direction for help stateside

Comment

My choice would be a bike/sidecar rig. Trikes, especially if they're HD derivative, cost megabucks. Not worth it in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by pidgey
                          My choice would be a bike/sidecar rig. Trikes, especially if they're HD derivative, cost megabucks. Not worth it in my opinion.
                          They cost money, but hey, you can't take it with ya'! Besides, I like to live by a phrase a good buddy of mine once uttered to me "It's only money. I'll make more tomorrow."

Atom, where there's a will, there's a way. Don't let that disability slow you down. You HAVE a life - go out and use and abuse it wildman.

Comment

I know I'm going to get bashed for suggesting such a thing, but what about a scooter? all the controls are at your hands, and it might be a little easier to get in and out, I know I had a blast on a little 50cc while I was in France. there's always bigger ones though, 150, 250, and up I think. it's another option.

Comment

Yesterday Dandy_D and I did about 300 miles on a ride, met two riders on Vtwin Cruisers and one had a pair of crutches strapped to his bike. Not sure if he needed them or was just carrying them around, but others have suggested several viable alternatives, so if you want to ride then there probably is a way. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X