Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This sucks!! Help please

I got the dreaded call today!
    I have a 1983 GS-1100G that I bought a year and a half ago. It ran fairly well and I rode it for that first year with a few problems such as gas leak from tank which I fixed, oil leak from speedo cable fixed and it was a bit sluggish even after I changed the plugs but nothing serious.
    I recently had my exhaust powder coated black and took it in to the shop to have the carbs cleaned and to check out the worsening sluggishness.
    The shop says that the float pins had been broken and that the carb is cracked and needs a brand new carb. They don't know if they can find one and if they do it will cost around $1,500 for the entire job (parts & labor).
    I can't sink this kind of money into a bike that I paid $1,400 for and don't have the knowledge to do the job myself.

My questions...what do I do? There's a bike salvage yard here in St. Louis that will give me $200 for it but that's crap. Do you think that parting it out would be the best way to try and recoup some money? Any suggestions or advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Wait - so all you need is a new carb? Or am I misreading... If that's it, you can find one from somebody on here, eBay, etc.

Comment

There are a lot of guys who sell rebuilt pre-setup carbs for you at a cost a lot less than you quoted.

Check with wiredgeorge. I think that is the guy?

Comment

Are they saying that all four carbs are cracked??? I find that hard to believe. They are probably taking advantage of your lack of knowledge.
        Don't tell them you suspect them of "exaggerating", just politely decline the work offer and get your bike back (they will of course charge you for the time it took to diagnose the problem and put everything back together). If you do accuse them of something, they just might break the carbs so as not to be caught in a lie - I know I'm being really cynical here, but I know for a fact that this kind of behavior can happen (how I know is another story). Then, you should at least remove the carbs yourself and dis-assemble/inspect them to get an idea of what's going on.
        If you've never done any carb work before, you're going to spend a least 20 hours with this carb adventure - it would be 5 hours or less if you knew what you were doing. I know this because several years ago, I was exactly where you are now.
        After verifying what is wrong with the carbs (or carb boots - air leaks are always a possible culprit), you should try to get what you need from eBay. I've restored three non-running bikes with eBay parts for practically pennies in comparison to what a shop would charge. Of course, most of the shop cost is labor fees (in most cases).
        But make no mistake - this whole process will require a large investment of time and effort. Just trying to give you a realistic idea of what you're in for.

Comment

Send the carbs to me. I'll rebuild them for $1000.

Just kidding. Get your bike from those rip off artists and NEVER go back. You should be able to get a used rack on Ebay for $60 (if yours are junk) and rebuild them for another 20.

Comment

They don't know if they can find one and if they do it will cost around $1,500 for the entire job (parts & labor).
            :? :? :x

WTF are these guys smoking? You can buy a brand new set of Lectron carbs for less than that, and still have money left over for a new set of tires!!!

Dude, let us help you. Please don't part the bike out or scrap it! Do you have some basic tools like screwdrivers and sockets? Is the bike under cover or do you have a tarp? We can do this man, and it wont cost much at all. If you just don't want to deal with it at all, maybe someone on the site wants to buy it and fix 'er up?
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I have spare set of black Mikuni bs series carbs, i'm willing to donate if they will fit your bike?

Comment

Well float pins don't break by themselfs. The idiot pounded on them most likely.

Can you post a pic of the problem.
                1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Thank you everyone for all of the suggestions. I have some mechanical knowledge, unfortunately it is limited to my 1984 truck that I've slowly rebuilt, I have almost no motorcycle knowledge. I don't have a digital camera to post any pics. I have a good selection of tools but no specific bike tools. I have a shop that I could do the work in over time (I'd hate to spend the best riding weather working inside )

Jethro I am interested in the Lectron carbs that you spoke of. Are these after market replacement carbs or is this a company that rebuilds original equipment? Where can I get information on them and is it a simple swap or do I need to modify the intake?

Thank you all again, I really appreciate it. I've been dragging all day over this. I really love that bike.

Comment

For a profeshional repair of the posts contact www.motorcyclecarbs.com

Comment

I just went through the whole carb buying experience, here's what I've learned. Firstly you have to decide if you wish to keep the bike stock or are you going to modify it.

If you want to keep it stock you can probably find a good bolt on set of stockers for under $100. You can also go with a set of Mikuni VM33 smoothbores which are performance carbs that are correct for the period but expect to pay $300-350 and you may have to rejet them depending what they came off.

If you don't care about stock you can try to get a set of Mikuni RS36 flat slides, I picked up mine for $415 off of E-bay, though I've seen them go as low as $300, and as high as $575. Sudco or motorcyclecarbs.com. will sell you a brand new set that will bolt on for $870. There is a company called Pro-flo in Florida that is advertising them for $670 but I know nothing about what may be different, maybe someone else here knows something about that.

If you go with a set of aftermarket carbs you generally have to run a header and filter pods for the jetting to run correctly. You will also have to install a push/pull throttle assembly(DO NOT run a single cable throttle). The carb spacing has to be 77mm-93mm-77mm center to center. Don't try to put GSXR or other carbs on it because they don't work well without TONS of fiddling.

I know this is a lot of info but it comes from alot of research on this site and others. Hope this gives you better idea of how to proceed.

Comment

you would be surprised what you are able to do. The first time I pulled and rebuilt the engine in a car....well...it was the first time I had ever done it.

I pulled it/rebuilt and dropped in back in in 3 days.

Don't be afraid to try to do the repair or replacement.

Comment

Find out which carb it is and I may have one. I bought a set off of ebay for parts and still have some of the bodies left, but need to know exactly which one it is because they are not interchangeable. From left to right sitting on the bike they are 1,2,3,and 4. I would find it very hard to believe that all four of them are broken.

Comment

Thank you very much for the offer, he said it was the first carb when I initially took it in but then when I called another mechanic at the shop said it was cracked but didn't specify which one. I will take everyone's suggestions and give it a lot of consideration tomorrow. I hope to pick the bike up tomorrow and maybe I can get more details from the mechanic then.

I looked on ebay and there's no carbs for my bike on there so I'll keep looking. I guess to get a carb off of ebay and a rebuild kit and go at it would be the best idea but I'm a bit intimidated by that so I don't know.

Thank you all for the encouragement and ideas. If you have any more I'd love to hear them.

Comment

call cycle salvage. www.cycle-salvage.com they are open 10-2 on Saturday Eastern Time. They have never not had a part I was looking for!

I picked up a clutch last weekend with all plates, screws and 2 sets of springs for $50. Dealer price was $300 and $500 to put it in. That was an $800 repair from a dealer I did with the help of this site and $50.

Comment

Working...
                              X