Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BY-PASSING THE ON/OFF HEADLIGHT SWITCH . . ANY INSIGHT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BY-PASSING THE ON/OFF HEADLIGHT SWITCH . . ANY INSIGHT?

I AM LOOKING TO BY PASS THE ON/OFF SWITCH ON MY 1979 GS 1000EN.
    I WANT THE HI/LOW BEAM TO OPERATE AS NORMAL. WHICH TERMINALS ON THE CONTACT PLATE SHOULD I BRIDGE? ONCE THE ROCKER SWITCH IS REMOVED, THE TERMINALS BRIDGED, I WILL CREATE A "FILLER" FOR THE SPACE THE OLD ROCKER SWITCH USED TO RESIDE. I WILL THEN FILL THE SLOT, GRIND AND SAND SMOOTH THE TOP OF THE CASE AND REPAINT IT BLACK, LEAVING ONLY THE HI/LOW AND THE HORN ON THE LEFT.

tHERE IS A WHITE / RED THJAT GOES TO THE RECTIFIER, A GREEN/WHITE TO THE GENERATOR, A GREEN TO THE INSTRUMENT LIGHTING, AND AN ORANGE/RED TO POWER . . .

OK, SO I GUESS I TIE THEM ALL TOGETHER, RIGHT! (DUHHHH, AM i MISSING SOMETHING?

:roll:

If you just want the headlights to stay on all the time, trace the leads coming from the on/off switch. Find the two wires they connect to (should be inside the headlight housing) and connect them to each other, bypassing the switch.
    JP
    1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
    1992 Concours
    2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
    2007 FJR

Comment

By Pass Headlight Switch 79 GS1000

Hi JPaul, Will I be able to remove theOn/Off switch then or is it still part of the circuit? Truth is, I need the copper contact pads from the On/Off to repair the Hi/Low! So I need to remove it anyway!

Comment

If you are able to bypass the switch, those contacts shouldn't be doing anything, so use them if you need them.
        JP
        1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
        1992 Concours
        2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
        2007 FJR

Comment

Roger that!

I'll giver a whirl. Thanks!

Comment

And so many of us have installed the on off switch as a tool to help if the battery is weak and we just need to get a bit further. it is also nice to start the bike with headlight off.

One guy in texas worked out a system of normally closed relays that would open when the start button was pushed.

To each his own thong.

Comment

Originally posted by cooties

One guy in texas worked out a system of normally closed relays that would open when the start button was pushed.

To each his own thong.
              I have a name, and only one relay is for over riding the head light when the starter button is pushed. the other one is for selecting high and low beam.

Comment

I haven't looked at a '79 in a while, but, on my '78 all you have to do is remove the plastic part of the switch (where your thumb goes) by taking off the one screw.

Then shave off the tab cast along the bottom of the plastic part. Reinstall.
                Instant on/off headlights.

DOT mandated constantly on headlights for 1978, so Suzuki realized it was easier to change the plastic part than the entire handlebar switch pod.

Let me know if yours is the same. It would sure save a lot of wiring.
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Head Lights . . .

Thanx Carol, Big T . . In truth, I have no problem with the On/Off from a function standpoint. What Carol said is true. The truth is is that my dimmer switch is missing the small contact brush, and I thought I'd rob it from the On/Off and make the rewiring to have permanent Headlights On. I have selected to make a copper brush for the dimmer, and will be seeing if it works later tonight. The function then will be as stock. Yup, it's the long way around.

Comment

Working...
                  X