carb float adjustment 1978GS750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb float adjustment 1978GS750E

How do you measure this. from where to where?
    Thanks,
    chris

With the carbs removed from the bike, float bowls removed and the carbs upside down, the height is measured from the float bow gasket surface (without gasket in place) to the top of the float. The measurement should be 24 mm.

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

You want the tab on the float to be touching, but not pushing in, the pin on the end of the needle valve. As long as the spring under that pin is in good shape the weight of the float resting on it (when the carb is upside down) shouldn't push it in. Just watch it as it makes contact. It's easy to tell if it is.

The only other thing I would add is to measure both sides and make sure they're the same. Sometimes the float bracket gets torqued a little and one float is higher than the other.

Comment

On a 77-79 VM carb'd 750, there is no spring in the float needle assembly and the measurment is taken with the tang holding the needle in the closed/pushed down position.

Earl

Originally posted by ptm
        You want the tab on the float to be touching, but not pushing in, the pin on the end of the needle valve. As long as the spring under that pin is in good shape the weight of the float resting on it (when the carb is upside down) shouldn't push it in. Just watch it as it makes contact. It's easy to tell if it is.

The only other thing I would add is to measure both sides and make sure they're the same. Sometimes the float bracket gets torqued a little and one float is higher than the other.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Hmmm... I'm confused. This is pic of what came out of my '78 750. The little peg sticking out of the non-pointed end of the needle valve moves in and out with what feels like a spring. The valve does close before the peg is pushed in at all and that is (I think) when the measurement should be taken. The weight of the float isn't enough to push it in at all. I assumed the spring was there so it would hold the valve more firmly closed even when the fuel sloshes around in the bowl. Kind of damping the bounce of the float.

Maybe they weren't original. The needle valves in the Keyster rebuild kits also had that spring thing.

Comment

mine has the spring type valve in there too.
            Chris

Comment

Working...
            X