Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best idea for a Cruise Control - Cheap method of course??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best idea for a Cruise Control - Cheap method of course??

Does anyone have a good cheap idea for a cruise control, some way that I can relax my hand and still be able to keep the speed?

Re: Best idea for a Cruise Control - Cheap method of course?

Originally posted by jog5000
    Does anyone have a good cheap idea for a cruise control, some way that I can relax my hand and still be able to keep the speed?
    You don't need to grip the bars tightly. A very loose handhold is all you need. Try repositioning your hand - use the tips of your fingers. If you get good at it use the other hand.

I, personally, wouldn't use any throttle locking device.

Comment

A lot of people swear by the throttle rocker. It wraps around the throttle grip and you rest your palm on it. I couldn't stand using the thing. It never maintained an adjustment long enough to suit me. I have always been partial to the NEP throttle locks. They're small and don't get in the way as much as some others. I always kept mine adjusted so that it would hold the speed for about 10-15 seconds before slipping and allowing the bike to slow down. If I need longer than that to shake off some numbness or readjust something, I'll stop and take a break.
      JP
      1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
      1992 Concours
      2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
      2007 FJR

Comment

I've used throttle locks all my life and never once had a concern about safety. It's VERY easy to override the throttle lock if it's installed correctly. 99% of the time you will roll off the throttle when you need to. The other 1% of the time the brakes will always overcome the engine if you wind up needing to slow down without having rolled off the throttle. Keep in mind, that when you have a throttle lock engaged you're typically using almost no power to maintain whatever speed you've set...

Having said all that, there is no denying the fact that using a throttle lock DOES increase your risk of an accident if you aren't used to "the drill." Personally, I've been using one so long it's second nature to roll off automatically.

Regards,
        Steve 8)

Comment

I keep my thumb under the lock lever, the action of reaching for the brake lever flips the lock off.

also it is possible to adapt a after market electronic cruse control to a bike with out much trouble.

Comment

I got a Vista Cruise setup for 30 bucks at a local shop, took about 30 minutes to install it. You can easily pull the throttle down by hand, the throttle lock is not that tight.

It is nice to give the right hand a rest once in a while
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

You want cheap? I've used this setup for years. There are different ways to use it. I usually either wedge a thumb or hook a finger. There was a throttle rocker on my GK when I bought it. I tried to use it for a while, but I went back to this. Gave me better control.

Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Change the return spring on the throttle to one that is lighter, or add a spring to counterbalance the pull of the original.

Earl
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by dpep
                  You want cheap? I've used this setup for years. There are different ways to use it. I usually either wedge a thumb or hook a finger. There was a throttle rocker on my GK when I bought it. I tried to use it for a while, but I went back to this. Gave me better control.

Southern engineering. #-o 8-[

Comment

I personally prefer the throttle rocker. I have the very thick foam grips, and the throttle rocker never ever moves, and Im very hard on the throttle.

I paid AU$20 for mine, and it installed in seconds, I actually had a situation where someone broke it (I hope it was an accident) and I had to go without it until I could replace it.

I felt naked, like something was missing, and I also noticed that my wrist was very painful (carpal tunnel apparently).

The other thing I noticed was that my throttle actions were very jerky without it on.

Ps: ive clocked up 30000K on my gs in the past 12 months and only 2000 of that was without the throttle rocker. Best $$ ive ever spent!

Comment

Just don't grease/lube your cables. My throttle sticks perfectly right below the "power band". It's usefull for highway driving, but not at all safe in stop and go. Unfortunatly I've lost my cable lubing tool so I can't fix it right now. I may have to resort to the sandwich bag technique of lubing them.

Comment

Rock on

As I said in a couple of other posts, I use a Throttle Rocker and think it's great. Both the Harley's I've owned had a screw on the underside by the grip and it was easy to adjust it so that it so that the grip stayed wherever you put it. It is a really simple idea (Harley's aren't too complicated ) and it worked remarkably well.
                        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage
                          I got a Vista Cruise setup for 30 bucks at a local shop, took about 30 minutes to install it. You can easily pull the throttle down by hand, the throttle lock is not that tight.

It is nice to give the right hand a rest once in a while
                          Same here. Vista cruise from ebay is where I got mine.
                          2 bucks used and it works like a charm!!

Something else that will help with sore hands and tired hands is bigger handgrips. My bike has the racing thin rubber grips on it and my fingers can wrap around the grips twice if they could.

But I'm going to put thicker bigger grips on the handlebars so my hands don't get so tired so fast anymore.

Comment

funny story

A couple years ago after I graduated from college I took my GS on a 6200 mile tour of the northwest and Canada. Many times I wished I had some sort of cruise, or throttle rocker, etc. When I bought my GS it came with a misc. box of parts, screws, pliers, etc. AFTER my trip I was looking on ebay, just browsing around. I see "cruise control gs850" I look at the auction, hmm. I think I recognize some of those parts from my misc. box of junk, sure enough, I had a complete cruise control, no parts missing sitting at home the entire time. At least I have it now.

Luke

Comment

I have a throttle rocker on mine too, it's pushed all the way inward like the hoseclamp thing above. My index finger and thumb curves around it, so it's not a problem.

Throttle locks won't work out here too well with the hills...

As for that southern engineering...doesn't that clamp have a sharp edge? I always cut myself on those things!

~Adam

Comment

Working...
                              X