Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't get the last valve shim out - any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get the last valve shim out - any suggestions?

I can't seem to rotate the tappet so that the notch is accessible to get the shim out on the #2 exaust valve. It's like its got pressure on it from the cam lobe even though its straight up. I tried gently turning the crank a little either way. I also tried using the tappet depressor tool hoping it would loosen up a little but no luck. Of course, this is one of the valves that the clearance measured too tight. My feeler guages only go down to .04mm and this one is less than .04 mm clearance. All the rest came out fine, after I discovered that tweezers make it MUCH easiet to remove the shims once popped out of the buckets.
    Any suggestions? Do I have to remove the cams to get this last shim out?

Oh yeah - 82 GS 850 GL

Are you sure you're just depressing the edge of the "bucket" & not pushing down on the shim as well? I have used a small magnet to pull out a stubborn shim although I've read that that's not the best idea since you wouldn't want the shim to become magnetized. I can't imagine that's really a problem to worry about though and if you're going to be replacing it---??? The oil film on the shims causes them to stick in the bucket. Good luck!

ED

Comment

Ed,
      Thanks, I finally was able to get it out. I had to loosen the bearing cap cover bolts then it was loose enogh to turn the tappet notch to where I could access the slot. This tells me that valve must have negative clearance. Will take some guessing when ordering shims I think.
      Kevin

Comment

Glad you got it out! You should be able to determine whatcha need by trying a shim or two from one of the other valves. Hopefully the shims were put in with their sizes facing down so they're still legible. Just make sure you record the current clearances and the shim sizes as you remove 'em so you know were you're at. Good luck, you've got a great bike there!

ED

Comment

BTW, it's Black/Grey isn't it? Same color as mine--they were the fastest! LOL

ED

Comment

Working...
          X