Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100GK '85 model

Hey guys, this is my first post, so be gentle ok

I have tracked down what looks to be a good condition shaftie for reasonable money but need a bit of advice before I go see the seller. I need to know what to look for in these bikes. Are there any common problems. How much freeplay should there be in the drive line? Do the swingarm bearings cop it hard on a shaft drive bike? Electrical problems? Any advice would be appreciated. Below is the link so you can check it out if you want.

Cheers, Darren

http://www.bikesales.com.au/bike/sea...entPage=1&x=51

make sure it runs right with no unusual noises.
    take a multi meter with you and make sure it is charging.
    like any bike GS are prone to connection corosion in the wiring harness and this rears its ugly head as charging system problems.
    there are a couple modifications that make the GS charging system very reliable for little to low money.
    also Electrex makes stators and regulators that are very reliable and put out more power than stock (20% more) at very resonable prices.
    swing arm bearings?? LOL, the GS shafties (the bigger ones at least) have what I think are the biggest stoutest swing arm bearings ever used on a production motorcycle.
    suzuki used real good size tapered roller bearings that are pretty easy to remove, clean and re-grease and even adjust.
    far better than the normal little needle bearings normaly found on a motorcycle, or even the bushings found on some Hondas.

Comment

Also be advised. It IS a 20+ year old bike. it will not be perfect. Some work will have to be done to it, even if only preventative.

Comment

Caveat emptor, my friend. That bike is NOT a GS1100GK. I'd be more suspicious if the listing said that, but I think the listing has it right: it's a "G" model.

Now, why it has a GK decal, I dunno. Could be a scrap decal, more likely a scrap side panel. Those side panels are prone to cracking, so it could be something that innocent. But I'd ask some questions about whether it's been dropped, because at the very least that decal is not stock.

Well, either that or someone took the fairing and bags off of a GK. Why you would do that when you could just buy a "G," though, I don't know.

Comment

Caveat emptor, my friend. That bike is NOT a GS1100GK. I'd be more suspicious if the listing said that, but I think the listing has it right: it's a "G" model.
          This bike is a GK. Look at the pictures carefully, and you will see the fairing mount fittings on the frame. These are only found on the GK. There are other clues, but I won't list them all.

This bike has a few things that are unusual. First, the front rotors are not stock. The stock rotors are vented.

Second, the headlight brackets are held on with plastic ties. Not good! None of the early brackets will fit the 41mm forks. On my GK conversion, I bought some GS1100G brackets and used a tailpipe expander to stretch the openings to fit the larger tubes.

At 24,000 kilometers, it is just broken in. I agree with what Focus Frenzy and propflux01 said, but these are great bikes.

Comment

Someone indeed took the fairing, bags, rack, trunk off a GK. It is a GK, no question.

The front rim is a replacement. I can tell it's the oldstyle rim, with solid discs. Probably off a 79 850 or something like it.

Biggest drawback other than charging system is the wheel splines, which tend to strip after a while. Swingarms bearings are not a problem on these.

Rubber gaiters have been removed from shocks. Front forks are standard GK. Exhaust is not stock. Try it out for loudness and integrity.

Looks OK to me, though. Good bike, it seems. If you like it and runs well, and price is goo, get it.

Comment

I would not buy this bike unless it were offered at something close to a parts bike price. As mentioned in the previous post, this bike is a hybrid. It began life as a GK but has lost all of it's luggage and it's original front end including forks, triple tree, and fairing. That all happens when you seriously crash the bike; ask me how I know. That could also be what did in the orginal exhaust system. And you don't know what an impact like that might have done to the frame. The fact that it is an after '82 model would mean that it has the softer splines subject to stripping in the rear hub; and this does not look like a bike that has been subject to gentle throttle inputs.

I say wait and hang around this site. Frequently one of our members will sell a bike which in almost all cases will be one that has been well cared for. In addition members are always posting info on GSs for sale on eBay and on other venues. I think that with this bike you would be buying someone's problems off him and paying a pretty hefty price to do it.
              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

I didn't know they sold the GK in Australia.
                I don't remember hearing of any GSR Australia members having one.

Comment

Well now I am glad I asked! I learned a lesson recently, I am rebuilding an '82 model CB750 and a previous owner had changed the front master cylinder. That caused no end of dramas to identify and rebuild.

Why would the forks be changed, did I read right? And the front wheel too? Likely to have had a front ender? I didn't notice the zip ties! But as it was stated, thats a twenty year old bike. I am sure there is a few bodges on it :-(

So let me see if I got this right. 1100G is just the plain 'ol shaftie, the 1100GK is the model with the panniers and fairings. And the 1100GL is the cruiser version sold in the States? Least I haven't seen any over here.

It was the stick on bullet holes that got me thinking about this bike...

Comment

Originally posted by trnpkroadwarrior1019
                    Now, why it has a GK decal, I dunno. Could be a scrap decal, more likely a scrap side panel. Those side panels are prone to cracking, so it could be something that innocent. But I'd ask some questions about whether it's been dropped, because at the very least that decal is not stock.
                    Having a close look at the pictures, the GS1100GK on the side panels is not a decal, but is a raised badge just like the tank emblems. If you look closely at pic 4, you can see the shadow at the rear edge of the 'K'

Comment

Originally posted by Honda Rider
                      Why would the forks be changed, did I read right? And the front wheel too? Likely to have had a front ender? I didn't notice the zip ties! But as it was stated, thats a twenty year old bike. I am sure there is a few bodges on it :-(

So let me see if I got this right. 1100G is just the plain 'ol shaftie, the 1100GK is the model with the panniers and fairings. And the 1100GL is the cruiser version sold in the States? Least I haven't seen any over here.

It was the stick on bullet holes that got me thinking about this bike...
                      You've got the designations right. In addition to the luggage and fairing the GK also had thicker fork tubes and the larger, flatter foot pegs you see in the picture. There really would be no reason to replace the front end except for a crash.

By the way, welcome to the forum.
                      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

dpep has it right That bike has been crashed. The only reason for it to be in that condition. They tried to patch it together with what they had. A good complete GK farring would be hard to come by even on ebay. That does not necessarly mean its a bad bike It would just need some custom work. Our resident GK expert rides his GK with a Vetter farring & an 850 front end due to a meeting with a deer so it's not a problem. the price needs to reflect it's damage

Comment

I saw an ad for a really nice Gk with "all the fruit" on it (an import I suspect) on another Aussie site the other day. I thought to myself, I will have to pull it all off to make it look like a bike and not a Winnebago 8O Heheh.

I sent an email to the seller asking about crash damage and the assortment of parts and I will post his reply if its interesting. But really I don't think I need the headache a bitsa would provide. I want a nice clean low mileage bike for a dirt cheap price... I know, dream on right :roll:

Thanks for the help, I mighta done something foolish if I didn't ask first.

Comment

I wonder if they canabolized the other GK to fix the trike

Comment

Working...
                            X