Headlight adjustment???????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight adjustment???????

Just out of curiosity, how do I adjust my headlight on my 80 GS?

There are two phillips screws, one on top and one on the bottom of the headlight trim.

I need to move the headlight up so it isn't aimed at the ground.......

The bottom screw should move the beam up and down. The top screw side to side.

Comment

How do you know when it's aimed properly? Do you have any tricks of the trade or do we have to drive a little at night and readjust? I thik mine is too low.
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Motomedic
        How do you know when it's aimed properly? Do you have any tricks of the trade or do we have to drive a little at night and readjust? I thik mine is too low.
        Thanks
        Where are two ways:

1. Use a light adjustment equipment as a garage use, the one with a magnifier glass you put in front of the headlight.

2. In the dark, stop in front of a wall of some kind, turn on your low beam and adjust to proper height by looking at the wall, you can compare how it should look, if you make the same with an proper adjusted car for comparing.

Comment

Hmmmmmmm.

I had already adjusted the lower one, but it threw the light off to one side. I guess I am just going to have to mess with them at night and see which does what. :?

Thanks!

Comment

Re: Headlight adjustment???????

For right and left adjustment, there is a small phillips screw in the face of the headlamp retainer ring. For up and down adjustment, select your right hand and reach over the handlebars and push down on the headlight for down or pull up for up. :-) :-) :-) :-) (the headlight shell is mounted by two side bolts with rubber compression washers...just rotate it where you want it. heh heh heh

Earl

[quote="Ludicrous Speed"]Just out of curiosity, how do I adjust my headlight on my 80 GS?
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

headlamp aim

I did this not too long ago as Iswitched to an 80w/100w low/high beam bulb. I used to like night riding when I was younger and preferred to see as much as possible so I reaimed it the way I used to (the ol' Suzi's been sitting for 12 long ones).Anyways,my parents driveway is about 50' from the curb to the garage and I set my low beam to hit the door about a foot off the ground at the highest light concentration and it seems not bad,but I still went about 3/4 of a turn higher, but then again I have a fairly bright bulb too. When my high's on, I have a horizontal strip of light hitting the ground just at the tip of the front fender.THere's not much I can't see:I wish I could teleport over and show you, it's hard to explain but my method seems to work as some friends when I was a teen had me set their lights up the same as mine.
              Jon

Comment

Just a small note on this....Earl already described the way to get your vertical adjustment.

The vertical setting will change as soon as you hop on and, depending on your weight AND the spring tensions of your bike, it will change quite a bit because of your weight.

Whatever height you choose to have the headlight aimed at should be done while you are on the bike, but not on the sidestand or centerstand.
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

(the headlight shell is mounted by two side bolts with rubber compression washers...just rotate it where you want it. heh heh heh
                  Well, that explains why the light is screwed up, I had it apart messing with my turn signals, and I prolly jacked it up myself!!!

Thanks!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X