1980 550E Ignitor supplier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 550E Ignitor supplier?

I have a 1980 550E that I suspect has a bad ignitor. The bike is only firing on plugs 2 & 3. I first suspected the ignition coil, but after switching the coils I found that both are good. I figure the signal generator is working otherwise I wouldn't get any spark at all.

Is there a good online source for a new ignitor? Searches thus far have been futile.

Also does it make sense that my ignitor is bad? So far it's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Thanks,

Alex

eBay

I've seen a couple of 'em on eBay, one currently on auction. Item number 4547757748, current price $37.25, ends 5/8 at 6:45pm PDT so hurry!

Comment

Now after doing a bit of research, it looks like a new ignitor is going to be difficult to find, and I figure I would be better off going the electronic ignition route.

Has anyone installed a Dyna S onto their GS550E? As well how do you tell whether or not your bike has a Kokusan Denki or a Nippon Denso ignition system? According to the documentation from Dynatek's website the part I need to order will be different depending on the ignition system.

Also what is the best online distributor to go to for this? crc2onlinecatalog.com has then for $194, but I would like to see if I cand find them for less.

With that said I have always found crc2 to be incredibly prompt with the orders that I have made from them. So they may still get my order.

Thanks,

Alex

Comment

Should say right on the ignitor which manufacturer made it. I think the one on my '80 GS450 is a Kokusan Denki and is the same as the one used on the GS550's. Both motors use two coils and the "lost spark" method of ignition with the signal generator turning at crankshaft speed. Actually, since the signal generator has two sensors it is possible that it is the culprit. You could try reversing the wires coming from the signal generator and if only cylinders 1 and 4 fire that would indicate a bad signal generator rather than the ignitor.

Comment

Working...
        X