engine dies after downshifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine dies after downshifting

Hello, I have a 82' GS400L and my problem is this.. the engine turns on fine, but it doesn't idle properly. After i disengage the choke, the engine rpms go slower and slower, and then it eventually dies. Sometimes when the choke is on, and when i rev too fast, the rpms drop and it dies. But the bottom line is this, i can keep the engine running only if i keep the rpms up, any sudden drops in RPM (such as when i downshift with the clutch in, slowing down to a stop) the engine dies. I would also like to note that i have K and N airfilters on stock 117.5 main jets, but it never did this to me before until recently (2 weeks ago). Any ideas? maybe i should wrap a gym sock around the filters or what?

Have you rebuilt or synced the carbs?

Brad tt

Comment

no, not recently but i did put a bottle of gasoline additive that clean the carbs, into the gas tank and when i ran, a huge poof of black smoke came out of the exhaust. I have some 125 jets that i mean to put in but i haven't got the time to get to that yet. Is that the problem you think? and no i haven't rebuilt or synced the carbs either.

Comment

carbs need a proper cleaning and adjusting.

Comment

Working...
        X