X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ponfosications on sealants

Originally posted by focus frenzy
    Originally posted by 3phase
    Factories dont use it and neither do I unless I get all scotish about a leakage problem.
    AH but they do!!
    My KLR650 has vertically split cases. Kawasaki uses LOTS of sealant on that joint. It bulges out everywhere on the exterior, and I've seen photos of the wire oil screen filled with the stuff (it has a paper filter further downstream). I haven't had my wire screen out for inspection yet.

Comment

Originally posted by dietcokeking
      Originally posted by focus frenzy
      Originally posted by 3phase
      Factories dont use it and neither do I unless I get all scotish about a leakage problem.
      AH but they do!!
      My KLR650 has vertically split cases. Kawasaki uses LOTS of sealant on that joint. It bulges out everywhere on the exterior, and I've seen photos of the wire oil screen filled with the stuff (it has a paper filter further downstream). I haven't had my wire screen out for inspection yet.
      The cases are sealed with Hondabond or similar. They don't use a silicone sealant. The factory may use silicone sealant, but I've never seen a joint that it's used on.

I just finished rebuilding my 1100 and didn't use a drop of silicone sealant anywhere. There are no leaks. IMHO, silicone sealant is Shade Tree Mechanics 101.

Comment

Siclicone also breaks down into "Jello Glue" when exposed to gasoline. :-) Not something I want anywhere in my engine.

Earl

Originally posted by Swanny

I just finished rebuilding my 1100 and didn't use a drop of silicone sealant anywhere. There are no leaks. IMHO, silicone sealant is Shade Tree Mechanics 101.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Before I get too critical of silicone sealant, I should add there is a place for it. When broken down on a trail (or road), I have been known to resort to zip ties, silicone sealant, bungie cords, and duct tape for emergency repairs. Once back in the shop, it's done right.

Comment

Thanks to all who responded. I think the o-ring I bought was too thin. I bought two more yesterday and will try again. Meanwhile, I hope to heck I didn't torque those nuts down too tight. Or I'll be back with that set of issues.
            Thanks again y'all!!

Comment

Working...
            X