Help on honda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help on honda

Hello everyone, I have a friend that needs help, She has a 1991 Honda 250 Nighthawk, that does not want to stay in neutral; when it starts the transmission wants to go into gear and then jams, to restart the bike you have to rock it back and forth to make it go in neutral and start and the same thing. I always told her not to go to repair shops and try fixing the bike herself, but this one is above hers and my ability, so as usual I am bringing the problem to the masters. she will apreciate any help.

ard

it is going to have to come apart

Comment

hI Leon, thank you for your respond, can you tell me what part should come apart? and what to look for?

ard

Comment

I would pull it apart to get to the shifting linkage It may have a broken return spring baring that it would require splitting the cases to inspect the trans NOT a job for a beginner ?? You need to get a good service manual

Comment

One of my favorite sites is PartsFish. www.powersportspro.com/partsfish/login.asp. Requires registration but it's free. Looking at the '91 Nighthawk 250 fiche, it seems like the shift linkage is under the right side cover and probably behind and/or below the clutch, which makes it a little harder to work on. The shift linkage has a spring to keep the lever centered and a spring loaded arm that follows a sorta star-shaped wheel bolted to the shift drum. This spring loaded arm helps keeps the tranny in gear. If the problem is with any of these parts it might be able to be repaired at home by a decent experienced DIY type mechanic. If the problem is with the shift forks or transmission itself, that requires more expertise. The motor will have to come out and be disassembled, "cases split", and reassembled with expertise or it will never be the same again. Not a job for a beginning mechanic.

Comment

I have had some Honda experience in my life....I brought a CX500 back to life....

The rebel and nighthawks ALWAY had issues with this. You only have 2 choices, pay the dealer or pull it apart. It is not a "quick job". Could be a expensive either way.

Comment

Originally posted by IanFrancisco
              One of my favorite sites is PartsFish. www.powersportspro.com/partsfish/login.asp. Requires registration but it's free.
              Your link did not work for me??? Sounds like a cool site?

Comment

Working...
              X