Testing starter relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing starter relay

how do you do it? I just tested the starter by touching a hot wire to the top bolt and the starter and it turns over. Now the only problem im having is that I guess the relay isnt working? I know the switch works because i found a wire that i think goes to it and when i push the start button that wire gets power. Any ideas?

on the starter relay/solinoid check for power with test light at the battery side terminal with test light ground hooked to battery ground, test for power at the stud coming out of the relay, not the nut or cable terminal.
    next check for power at the small wire going into the relay when the starter button is pushed. this will require a assistant as you will need both hands to squize clutch lever and push starter button at same time.
    if the light iluminates, you then hook the test light ground to the relay case to test the relays ground.
    if the test light lights up with the test light ground connected to the case and positive tip connected to the energize wire and relay does not click, the relay is bad.

Comment

my98xplorer, I tried Leon's instructions on my 82 GS1100GK. Seems my starter relay puked this AM. Took all of 5 minutes to confirm a bad relay. Bad news is they are in the $50 range from BikeBandit. Wonder what the likelyhood is that Suzuki will have one in stock? I'd be surprised if Leon doesn't have a suitable alternative in mind shortly after he gets in from work (hint, hint) :roll: . Maybe one off an 87 Yugo ?

Comment

Originally posted by Giblet
        my98xplorer, I tried Leon's instructions on my 82 GS1100GK. Seems my starter relay puked this AM. Took all of 5 minutes to confirm a bad relay. Bad news is they are in the $50 range from BikeBandit. Wonder what the likelyhood is that Suzuki will have one in stock? I'd be surprised if Leon doesn't have a suitable alternative in mind shortly after he gets in from work (hint, hint) :roll: . Maybe one off an 87 Yugo ?
        I will pick you up one from Dano's tomorrow, I have to run down there and pick up a regulator rectifier as Electrex is ignoring me and won't answer my Email.

Comment

oops! I forgot to point out to check for voltage at both post on the relay, you will need to push the starter button (and have the clutch pulled in) when checking for power on the output stud (going to starter)

Comment

Working...
          X