Strange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange

Ive just put a set of them splitfire plugs in my GS1000 and while throttle response is better my bike doesnt tick over as good as it did with the standard plugs im going to put the ngks back in to see if theres a difference in the engine but why would plugs affect it like this ?
    Trev

I can only think that the splitfires probably are burning a little hotter than the NGK's. That could be causing a problem. Check the plug colors and see if they're consistent with the NGK colors (tan is the right color, not white/gray or black). It could be a jetting issue with the splitfires. My .02.

Brad tt

Comment

The splits may not be an exact replacement for the NGK's

Comment

the spark is having to jump a larger gap so you are getting a weaker spark that is coming slower than it was with the regular plugs in it.

the spark has to travel at a angle to reach the ground electrode on the split fires so if you set the gap the same as conventional plugs, the arc has to go further so more voltage has to build up before it arcs over. this takes more time for the arc over to happen, admidatly a very miniscule amount of time (milliseconds) but factor in how many times a plug fires it counts.
        when more voltage is needed for the arc over, there is less voltage for the arc, a weaker spark gets you a less complete combustion and the idle will be lower.
        run a bike with the charging system disabled and as the battery voltage drops the idle will also drop as the spark gets weaker.

the sharper the center electrode is the better.
        a spark will jump the gap much quicker than from a dull center electrode. I had to adjust down my idle when I changed to NGK iridium plugs, the iridium center electrode is very tiny and requires much less voltage to arc over making for a very strong spark.

Comment

Ugh...splitfires.
          Worst thing I ever put in my car and my bike.
          After about 2 weeks of them in my bike I chucked em and went back to the standard. Everything was back to good.

FOrgot about them being in the car since I wasn't driving it much.
          Well, the splitfires caused the sparkplug wires to die, which messed up the spark even worse causing the fuel to be too rich which caused my catalytic converter to get clogged up with gummy fuel which caused my fuel economy to go from 31 mpg-hwy to 10 mpg-hwy and even worse in town. I had to floor the gas pedal just to get it up to 55.
          Soooo much money wasted on gas those 2 weeks.
          And I had to drive the car cause it was the middle of winter and the bike doesn't do too well on snow and ice.

It was a rough one this past winter.

Comment

Working...
          X