All of a sudden it stalls !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All of a sudden it stalls !

I was riding into town on the highway the other day and while crusing at about 70 mph all of a sudden my bike just dies. It slows to about 30 mph and starts again and off I go. It happened after about 20 mins into my trip and then again about 10 mins later. It happened again on the return trip at about the same intervals.

I was riding to work today (about 6 miles) and it was just great. On the way home it kindof kicked like it stalled and caught again and was fine until I was about a mile from home and it stalled again. it slowed to about 5 mph from 25 mph and it back fired with a gunshot and started again and I was able to ride home.

The carbs were ripped off and rebuilt over the off season. The plugs don't look too bad. One looks a little dark but not too bad.

Anyone ever seen this or know what it might be ? It's been running so well this year and I'd like to keep it that way.

Thanks

FishyBC
    1978 GS750E

intermittant ignition.
    check killswitch,connections,ignitor ect.

Comment

Noticed something new !
      I'm thinking this is electrical because it stopped for while and then it started back worse than ever. I found however that if I depress the clutch lever slightly, it starts right back up again. Is there some kind of switch in the clutch for starting the bike or something that may be faulty ?

Comment

Originally posted by FishyBC
        Noticed something new !
        I'm thinking this is electrical because it stopped for while and then it started back worse than ever. I found however that if I depress the clutch lever slightly, it starts right back up again. Is there some kind of switch in the clutch for starting the bike or something that may be faulty ?
        Yes there is, it is a safety feature, clean it, fix it, or disconnect it all together.

Comment

How do I get to it ? Is it in the lever itself or somewhere else ?

Comment

Look at the underside of the lever and lever holder, there should be a thing with 2 wires coming out, held on by 2 screws.

Comment

Working...
            X