Bubbles in oil window?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bubbles in oil window?!?

I jsut got home from school and I noticed in the little oil observation window thingy on my '83 GS750ESD that there were a few bubbles in the bottom. after a few minutes they disapeered. what could this mean? not wanting to take the chance that I was low on oil I put 300ml in. I don't quite understand how that littel window is supposed to function. it is clear all the time. what happens when I'm low on oil or something???
    Cheers,
    Shaun

That little window tells you how much oil you have.. I have an 83 750ED and it takes 4.02 quarts when I do a filter and oil change..

As far as the bubbles not sure..

When was the last time you changed the oil and filter??

That little window should be a nice golden brown oil color...

Comment

There should be two marks on the case next to window. These are the high and low marks for oil level. Oil level should be checked with the bike on the centerstand.
      If your bike was on the side stand the bubbles could be nothing more than the residue of the oil sloshing when you leaned the bike over on the side stand. But I'd certainly check the oil in the corect manner ASAP. You might have gas in the oil which will thin it and make the forming of bubbles much easier or you may have overfilled it by adding the 300ml.
      Might want to look into getting a manual. Routine maintance missed or miss done can cost a lot more a manual real quick (like to the tune of major engine failure).

Comment

at the risk of starting the motorcycle oil discussion again, If you use an automotive oil, you will experience a small abount of foaming. Motorcycle and synthetic oils have an antifoaming additive.
        -Al

Comment

moto oil

It is moto oil but it is not foaming, just small bubbles for a little while. I could never find how to use the window. ok I checked the oil and I understnad it all now, the oil is at the full level now so there probably isn't anythign wrong. thanks for all the suggestions tho.
          Cheers,
          Shaun

Comment

I need to ask a quick question.

My manual says 4.02quarts of oil fro a filter and oil change.

do you only check the oil level while the bike is off??

I changed the oil and filter and put 4 quarts in and on the centerstand its full, start the bike and that window goes clear........

Comment

When I change the oil I usually fill it to the top line. I then start the bike and let it idle until the oil pressure light goes out. Then I shut it off and let it sit for about 10 minutes. I then check the level and top it off to the top line if it is not already there.
              Al

Comment

Working...
              X