Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering a GSX1100EF (GS1150EF) - What to look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering a GSX1100EF (GS1150EF) - What to look for?

Hi

I am going to look at a GSX1100EF later in the week. I spotted it at my local Bike shop when looking for parts. It is the 1135cc model but I didn't check the year. It looked to be fairly clean and free of oil leaks.

What should I look for on closer inspection and test ride?

It was tagged as AU$1999 but I am sure I can do better than that.

Thanks

Ben

Re: Considering a GSX1100EF (GS1150EF) - What to look for?

I have put about 35K miles on my 85 GSX1100EF and the only thing I have had to do is the usual R/R change and replace the ignitor/electronic ignition with a Dyna ignition. Pretty much a normal maintenance thing with any older bike. Mine has had no problems and needs nothing. I think most important is if the bike appears well taken care of and maintained.
    things like rusted chain, old grease build up on the swingarm, rust stains on the carb bowls, dry rotted intake boots, cracked tires, cracked and dried seatcover, peeling paint, dried handlebar grips, broken plastics, etc all tell a tale of owner neglect. If the signs of neglect are present, I would be wary. With even moderate care by someone with minimal mechanical skills, the bike is a battleship. With good care, it will run nearly forever.

I wouldnt sell mine for twice what its worth. :-) Its a GREAT! ride but a beginners bike, it is not.

Earl

Originally posted by 2car
    Hi

I am going to look at a GSX1100EF later in the week. I spotted it at my local Bike shop when looking for parts. It is the 1135cc model but I didn't check the year. It looked to be fairly clean and free of oil leaks.

What should I look for on closer inspection and test ride?

It was tagged as AU$1999 but I am sure I can do better than that.

Thanks

Ben
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks Earl

I'm actually looking for a project bike for my Dad. Ive just rebuilt my GSX1100, and he has just rebuilt his GN250, so we are a little above the beginner level .

Are there any peculiarities with this model compared to the '80 model?

Comment

Yes, there are a lot of differences. The 85 GSX feels much smaller, lighter and quicker than the 80 model. The 85 is physically more compact. I'm 5ft 9" and it fits me perfect. The reach on the 80 model is a little long for me and consequently not as comfortable. Also, the steering quickness and overall control lightness is closer to a 600 than it is to the 80 model.
        I've often said, I dont ride my 1150E, I think it along. It simply goes wherever I think it should. It handles that light.
        Brakes are also better than the earlier model. Just think of it as having 130 hp in your GN 250. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by 2car
        Thanks Earl

I'm actually looking for a project bike for my Dad. Ive just rebuilt my GSX1100, and he has just rebuilt his GN250, so we are a little above the beginner level .

Are there any peculiarities with this model compared to the '80 model?
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
        X