suitable cruising RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

suitable cruising RPM

Ok...I know I sound like an idiot. My last bike I had about a thousand years ago was a 6 speed and had no tach. I just got an 82 GS650L which is only 5 speed. My question. When cruising with still another gear I can shift up to...what is an acceptable max rpm? For example....is it ok to cruise in 4th at 4000 RPM or am I doing harm by not shifting to 5th? Hope this question isn't too stupid for this group.

What a STUPID question!! Just kiddin, just kidding--LOL! 4K is an ideal cruising RPM, you're not hurting a thing!

ED

Comment

Re: suitable cruising RPM

If youre running 4K rpm in 4th, there is no reason to keep it in 4th unless you want less gas milage. :-) You can cruise in 5th no problem. As long as you can pull the gear smoothy and keep about 3k or better on the tach, all is well.
      You'll probably need to downshift though to accelerate with any authority if youre cruising at that low an rpm though. On the high side, I dont like to cruise for hours at more than about 6500-7000. Thats not a problem with my bike as 7k on the tach is over 160kph. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by marko
      Ok...I know I sound like an idiot. My last bike I had about a thousand years ago was a 6 speed and had no tach. I just got an 82 GS650L which is only 5 speed. My question. When cruising with still another gear I can shift up to...what is an acceptable max rpm? For example....is it ok to cruise in 4th at 4000 RPM or am I doing harm by not shifting to 5th? Hope this question isn't too stupid for this group.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Agreeing with earlfor here - that's a good question.;[o High rpms = increased fuel useage. The factory service manual may have a speed/rpm range table - the owner's manual too: yer probably within that range, so there's no harm. Also, it's a Jap bike: experiment with it - you'll have some fun.

Bustedfeet.

Comment

Working...
        X