petcock cracked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

petcock cracked?

I just got done totally rebuilding/rejetting my carbs, flushed fuel system, synched carbs, new intake boots/o-rings. thing ran great during synching, adjusting. would hold a 1200rpm idle for 20-30 mins. went to take it for some practice riding this am and it starting to slowly drop idle and want to stall after 10 mins of running. I could not beleive it had anything to do with the carbs,etc, they were all perfect 2 days ago. I looked at the petcock and it looks like it cracked at the bottom line area, and saw some weeping fuel from it. Would a cracked petcock answer my why the H**** did this thing just all the sudden change the way it idles/runs?

Thanks, Vinny

If fuel is leaking from the petcock, it aint right. If it aint right at the start, it aint gonna be right at the end. Better pull the petcock off and check it out.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

well lets say it not the petcock issue. I mean this thing ran perfect 2 days ago and many times before that. Like I said everything has been goen thru, carbs, tank, new int boots and o-rings, carbs synched perfectly. I put the tank on and the tops of the carsbs after i was done synching and tried to run it this morning and it acted up. just not idleing good and wanting to stall. but will stay running at higher rpms if i twist the throttle.
      What could have happedned. Im staring to get nasty with this thing. hehehehe

Comment

Besides leaking gas, a cracked petcock could also create a vacuum leak. Plus, it could very well be dumping gas down the vacuum line, leading to further mixrure wierdness. Not to mention the supply of gas will be rather unreliable.

Better pull it off and take a closer look...what's your #2 plug look like? The classic symptom of a leaky petcock diaphragm is gas getting through the vaccum diaphragm and getting sucked into the fitting on the #2 carb, causing it to run rich.

If the casting is actually cracked, then who knows what all could be happening?

Paetcocks don't last forever -- I think just about every GS has needed a new petcock at least once.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
        X