Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

82 GS1100EZ 6500 miles for $900 (45 minute fix)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS1100EZ 6500 miles for $900 (45 minute fix)

I know that this does not belong here except that It is a great opportunity for someone to pick up an awsome bike for really cheap.

This is also a good technical lesson in repairing transmission problems.

This bike pops out of gear unless you hold it in gear. excerpt from ebay listing

"1100 was running when he parked but something had happened while he was shifting thru the gears and it would not stay in gear unless he held the gear lever with his foot, so he parked it "

This has all the symptoms of a broken cam stopper pawl spring on the gearshift cam. Take the oil pan off and locate the broken spring ( gear shift side) and replace it with a new one and the bike should have no problems shifting or staying in gear.

I had a similar spring go out on a V65. freaked me out and I was going to scrap it or Ebay it and then I figured out what it was. Turned out to take about 30 minutes to fix and replace.

its the spring on the left in the above referenced picture. (Another listing for transmission parts)

I would buy the bike myself but I already have one and it costs $800 to ship to Seattle. I thought I would pass this on to the GS group. With $800 in shipping I could fix it and sell it but might not recover my costs.

I think the bike would take a some labor with the carbs and the rust removal but other than that it is the cleanest GS I have seen on ebay. Love that low milleage!

cheers!

Ian

I'm looking for the money. Seriously, unless you REALLY want this, I'd like to call dibs.

My favorite bike EVER, and it's in driving distance to get. And the wife says if I can free up the money, she's fine with it. 8O

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Jedi
      I'm looking for the money. Seriously, unless you REALLY want this, I'd like to call dibs.

My favorite bike EVER, and it's in driving distance to get. And the wife says if I can free up the money, she's fine with it. 8O

I hope it works out for you to get it buddy

Keep us posted. I am excited for you! A new-to-you GS! WooHoo!

Comment

Rock, paper, scissors?? 8)

Comment

Originally posted by shaftzuki

Shotgun? :twisted:

Comment

Looking at my bike today I think it will be harder to fix than 45 minutes but well within your grasp.
            I would take the tank off, drain the oil and lay the bike over on its side to get under there. The spring location should be easy to see but you will need to buy a new spring from the dealer and figure out where both ends connect.

from the manual it looks like there is enough finger or needle nose pliar room to make it a simple install.

No dibs on my end, freight would make it a $2000 motorcycle and like I said great bike but for my trouble I would have to sell it for $3000.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by shaftzuki

Shotgun? :twisted:
              I suppose I could keep the 45 holstered ... 8)

Comment

Bah! Someone beat me to the punch anyway.

Hope you enjoy it, Whoever..... though I doubt it was a GSR person.

Comment

Working...
                X