Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Leak

So I have an oil leak that appears to be around the starter on my bike. I can't see anything specific, but when I take the cover off over the starter, there is a fair amount of oil collected there. Can anyone confirm that this most likely is the simple O-ring (Item #8?)shown in bikebandit? If it is, I can pick up the part before I dissassemble.

if you have oil in with the starter it is going to be that O-ring.

Comment

Thanks.

Btw is that O-ring normally in a full gasket kit? If so, I may have that one left over from last year's engine rebuild.

Comment

That particular o-ring (on the starter nose) has not been in either of the gasket kits I've used, but you can easily find one that will fit from an assortment.

Or, more scientifically, measure the groove and choose one at your local auto parts or hardware store. That's what I did, back when Pep Boys carried metric o-rings.

Or just give up and order the Suzuki o-ring. The Suzuki part number is 09280-24001 (same as BB's 472043-001 fakey part number). The part number means it's a 24mm ID, but you'll have to figure out the thickness on your own if you're scrounging at the hardware store.

Oil in the starter cavity can also come from several sources nearby, most commonly a leaking cam chain tensioner. Here's the fix if this is the case:
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for this advice. Having looked at the cost of these Orings for both the starter and the cam tensioner, I may just do them all is it seems like it would only be an afternoon's job. I was worried about the cam tensioner but your sight shows pretty detailed steps on what to do.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X